RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, I know suspension issues have been talked about endlessly on this forum and thank you for all that have given insight to them. But I have a question that I have not been able to find an answer too.

I have a 2003 range rover. 90k miles. Yesterday the front driver’s side air bag was leaking air. The rover was not saying any codes and it would just fill it back up again. However today it says air suspension inactive, and is riding on the stops. So I began to investigate.

I took off the wheel and the air bag was completely deflated. The other air bags still are rock hard. In this deflated stage I cannot do the soapy water test. My question:

How can I use an air compressor to put air in the line that goes to that air bag so that I can perform the soapy water tests?

From my limited knowledge the only thing I have right now is take apart the passenger side wheel well and access the valve for the whole system and then take off the line and hook an air compressor line to it. Am I on the right track? Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
83 Posts
If you have a leak in the front air bag then filling it back up will not solve the problem. For the purpose of finding and confirming the leak then you can take the front air strut off and use an air hose to pump it up. If you are going to do that why not have the replacement part ready to be installed after you have confirmed that the old one is faulty. This is not a problem that has a temporary fix, there are no ways to "milk it" along.

Ask me how I know this...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did a visual insespetion on the bag and i found no tears or anything, so i am not ready to jump to the conclusion that it needs a whole new strut, it could be an air line. The connection where the air line goes in to the air bag looked really worn and if I had to guess that is where i would say the problem is. I understand however that my mind is telling me that the line is the issue since that is not a 700.00 part :shock:

That is why i would like to test it by putting air in the system without removing the strut so i can simulate the same conditions.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My bag does look like you pic, I do see those cracks in it. But when it was leaking I heard a huge leak, but of course there was alot of presure on it, could have been the leak. I am just in denial I think, I just have to see for myself if that is the leak or not.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Simple test...

If you can get the strut to inflate, put a jack under the opposite rear wheel and jack it up putting pressure on the front. You will hear the whooshing sound if your strut is leaking. Mine was loud.

Be careful, too much fiddling and around will result in a hard fault and then you will need a T4 to reset it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I cant get it to inflate, that is the whole reason i asked if there was anyway I could force inflate it with an external air compressor. I think it might have hard faulted already, there are no lights on the controls and the air inactive message is on the display.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The hard fault is why it will not inflate, shuts down the whole system. You will have to have a T4 to reset it, no diagnosing or fixing until you clear the hard fault, you are dead in the water.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Not yet, I have buddy with an Indy LR shop who has a T4 but I can see the day coming where I will want one.

·
Registered
83 Posts
No, sorry Atlanta area. There should be an indy shop near you though, call around and see if they have either testbook or the Autologic set up for Land Rovers.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I will call them. I am still hoping someone has a way to hook up an external air source to an air line and test it that way.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The problem is the air inlet is inside the upper shock mount "cone" of the truck and you can't get to it unless you drop the strut. So you are damned if you do and damned if you don't if you know what I mean. I pulled mine and then used an air gun with a rubber tip and held it to the inlet and was able to test it. I put the strut under a table and inflated it where it would be in a lower setting since mine did not leak in offroad height. Sure enough it leaked in four places.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I understand your point, i did see it up there last night. My only shot right now is taking off the right side wheel and shroud and access the valve and line there. I am hoping to disconnect the driver side line and put an air hose on it and see what happens. very low presure at first and i will go from there.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was able to get in there tonight and really figure out what was going on. The air system reset itself for me today as if the Rover was trying to help me diagnose it so that was nice. The system charged and I was able to feel around for the leak. It is in the bag and not in the air line. My questions now for people that have gone through this.

1. Is there any repair out there for the leak? I was thinking a bike tire patch, but I doubt that that would hold.
2. I have done some searching online and I know if I have to replace it I have to buy the whole strut, does anyone recommend a good place to buy one?

Thanks all.

·
Registered
83 Posts
1. No, been there done that, will not work. I hate to admit it but I did try it and it failed utterly, in fact it made it worse.
2. Coventry West, got a good used front airstrut for around $450, other than that look at fleabay.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I went ahead and ordered the Strut today. Rover Renovations had them the cheapest i found online. They claim their AM one is the same as the OEM, just not stamped by land rover. I would tend to believe that since it would be a huge expense for someone to make a legit AM one, not like there are a million of them on the road.

I spoke with an indi shop here and they are charging 170.00 out the door to install the new one. I looked at doing it myself with the great walk throughs on the site, but I don't have some of he tools so I cant beat it for 170.00.

I will post again once it is all fixed.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts