RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have heard that there is a daymtime light which turns your 2010 LED into daytime lights but went to the dealer to see if they can turn them on and they said that this option is not available for the US! Only Canada and Europe.

Is this true?

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
472 Posts
With the dash mounted light swith in the OFF position, turn the switch one click clockwise; this turns on my front and rear LED's and no headlights...... :mrgreen:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This I know but there is supposed to be a feature which leave them on all the time like a Audi S5 I had.

Running day-lamps.

Anyone know if this is possible on our 2010?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
I don't believe that even markets abroad where daytime running lights are mandatory (Canada, Scandinavian countries, perhaps a MY2010 Canadian owner can confirm, eh?) use the 10 LED within the headlights cluster - "side lamps" is how Land Rover calls them - by themselves as DRL in the 2010 Sport. With DRL, the low beam xenon headlights turn on at full intensity, just like they do in 2006-2009 RRS. I think your dealer is correct in telling you that you cannot have the side lamp LEDs automatically on (by themselves) whenever you drive. Either you use the switch manually as suggested above, or also need to fire up the headlights - manually, automatically or by enabling DRL - for the LEDs to operate. Audi may very well use the strip of LEDs alone as DRL, but AFAIK Land Rover does not.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Has anyone been able to figure out how to run ONLY the front LED's as DRLs? When I saw their addition to the 2010's I assumed that is what they were for, ala, Audi or MB...

·
Registered
43 Posts
you can definitely have your dealership turn on the daytime running lights feature. i had this done on my 2011 Range Rover Sport Supercharged about a week after getting it. it's a very simple programming change the dealership can do. I'll take some pics and post them here later today

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
284 Posts
I did some work on my 2011 to get the LED's to light just from the ignition; so I didn't need to "turn" them on.

I was able to isolate the front from the rear lights by using diodes. I've been messing around with other options since, but if you're interested, here's a long thread on the work involved.

http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/viewto ... =5&t=42251

·
Registered
282 Posts
umbertob said:
I don't believe that even markets abroad where daytime running lights are mandatory (Canada, Scandinavian countries, perhaps a MY2010 Canadian owner can confirm, eh?) use the 10 LED within the headlights cluster - "side lamps" is how Land Rover calls them - by themselves as DRL in the 2010 Sport. With DRL, the low beam xenon headlights turn on at full intensity, just like they do in 2006-2009 RRS. I think your dealer is correct in telling you that you cannot have the side lamp LEDs automatically on (by themselves) whenever you drive. Either you use the switch manually as suggested above, or also need to fire up the headlights - manually, automatically or by enabling DRL - for the LEDs to operate. Audi may very well use the strip of LEDs alone as DRL, but AFAIK Land Rover does not.
Actually, in the UK (according to Martin at Project Kahn UK), the LEDs are always lit when the vehicle is running. Martin said that the light itself is different - this confirms what AwfAxis discovered, that the wiring in our headlights only permits the LEDs to be lit along with the side markers. The only way to get just the LEDs on that I know of (short of drilling into the headlight to tap the right wires) is to order UK-spec lights...

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
For clarification, there are only two types of DRLs on a 2011 Sport that can be enabled by a dealer via diagnostics (Canadian or Scandinavian), although in countries where DRLs aren't mandatory a dealer may very well refuse to turn them on. As far as the differences between the two versions of DRLs, this is off the MY2010-2011 Shop Manual. As a reminder, the LEDs in the front headlight clusters are referred to as "Side lamps" in Land Rover's shop manuals and electrical guides.

Daytime Running Lamps (DRL)

Description and Operation
Daytime Running Lamps (DRL) use the full intensity low beam headlamps which are permanently illuminated when the vehicle is being driven. DRL are used in a number of markets and there are two systems to cover these markets.

DRL CANADIAN MARKET
DRL for this market use full intensity low beam headlamps. The side lamps, tail lamps and license plate lamps will be on, but instrument cluster illumination will be off. DRL are active when the following parameters are met:

Parking brake is off on vehicles with manual transmission or PARK is not selected on vehicles with automatic transmission
Ignition switch is in the ignition position (II)
The Central Junction Box (CJB) receives an engine running signal
The lighting control switch is in the off or side lamps position.

• NOTE: If the lighting control switch is moved to the headlamp position, DRL are deactivated and normal side lamp and headlamp functionality is operational.
• NOTE: Adaptive Front lighting System (AFS) (where fitted) is non-functional when the DRL are active.
• NOTE: When DRL are active, the headlamp flash function using the left hand steering column multifunction switch will operate normally. The high beam headlamp function using the left hand steering column stalk switch will be deactivated.

When the parking brake is applied on manual transmission vehicles or the selector lever is in the PARK position on automatic transmission vehicles, DRL are turned off. This is to reduce battery discharge during long periods of engine idling in cold climate conditions. When the parking brake is released or the selector lever is moved from the PARK position, normal DRL functionality is restored.

DRL DENMARK, HOLLAND, NORWAY, SWEDEN, FINLAND & POLAND
DRL for these markets use full intensity low beam headlamps. Side lamps and license plate lamps will be on, but instrument cluster illumination will be off. DRL are active when the following parameters are met:

Ignition switch is in the ignition position (II)
The CJB receives an engine running signal
The lighting control switch is in the off position.

• NOTE: When DRL are active, the headlamp flash function using the left hand steering column multifunction switch will operate normally. The high beam headlamp function using the left hand steering column stalk switch will be deactivated.

If the lighting control switch is moved to the side lamp or headlamp positions, DRL are deactivated and normal side lamp and headlamp functionality is operational.

·
Registered
107 Posts
AwfAxis said:
I did some work on my 2011 to get the LED's to light just from the ignition; so I didn't need to "turn" them on.

I was able to isolate the front from the rear lights by using diodes. I've been messing around with other options since, but if you're interested, here's a long thread on the work involved.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=42251
I used the above method posted by AwfAxis (thanks) and it works great. My LED's are always on and I get to leave my switch in the AUTO position for the auto feature to still work on the headlights. If you use the Switch to turn the LEDs on manually, you have to remember to turn your head lights on at night.. this was a little work, but the end result is exactly what you are asking for.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Just out of curiosity if I leave the knob at the second position so that the leds are on, will the leds turn off when I turn the car off or will I always have to turn them off every time I leave the car?

·
Registered
325 Posts
imho, that looks very aftermarket, neon like

you cannot compare this to the 2010-11 OEM design. OEM is bar none the cleanest, classiest look.

·
Registered
325 Posts
djsaad1 said:
Just out of curiosity if I leave the knob at the second position so that the leds are on, will the leds turn off when I turn the car off or will I always have to turn them off every time I leave the car?
nope you need to switch it off manually everytime.

i'd love it if the auto mode would turn the LEDs on whenever the car is started

·
Registered
21 Posts
callihan509 said:
i have a 2008 range rover sport and added LED lights. I think they look better than the 2010 and they work during the day.

I like those. Where do you get them?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts