RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
09’ Black RRS, 12’ Sand RR HSE
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

I’ve recently bought a 2012 HSE full size RR, and I’m not new to Range rovers. I’ve inspected the car myself prior to the purchase.
A day after, when I tried to unlock the car by pressing the key fob once, I heard a “tick” sound but no door unlocked and noticed that the analog watch reset to 12, another press and the doors were unlocked, got into the vehicle and also noticed that the date was also reset to 1/1/2009, but everything else like the radio presets, seat memory and the settings didn’t change.
I’ve seen the “electrical problems intro” for the new users and it was mentioned that weird electrical problems are mostly related to the battery, but the previous owner had already replaced the battery by beginning of the current month due to the car being stopped for almost 8 months as he claimed he has another cars and rarely use this one.
Now ever since, every time I try to unlock the vehicle or even press any button on the key fob, the same thing happen provided that I leave the car for at least 15-20 mins, what could cause this kind of problem?

I’m new to the forums and I apologize if I missed any rules like the signature since I didn’t know how to put it or use it.

Regards,

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
611 Posts
Hey there,

I’ve recently bought a 2012 HSE full size RR, and I’m not new to Range rovers. I’ve inspected the car myself prior to the purchase.
A day after, when I tried to unlock the car by pressing the key fob once, I heard a “tick” sound but no door unlocked and noticed that the analog watch reset to 12, another press and the doors were unlocked, got into the vehicle and also noticed that the date was also reset to 1/1/2009, but everything else like the radio presets, seat memory and the settings didn’t change.
I’ve seen the “electrical problems intro” for the new users and it was mentioned that weird electrical problems are mostly related to the battery, but the previous owner had already replaced the battery by beginning of the current month due to the car being stopped for almost 8 months as he claimed he has another cars and rarely use this one.
Now ever since, every time I try to unlock the vehicle or even press any button on the key fob, the same thing happen provided that I leave the car for at least 15-20 mins, what could cause this kind of problem?

I’m new to the forums and I apologize if I missed any rules like the signature since I didn’t know how to put it or use it.

Regards,
Hi
I had similar things. On lexus and on range rover.
I am driving a 4.2SC a different engine but symptoms are showing a grounding issue or battery negative terminal. One time i bought a new but broken battery shop replaced battery after this problems.

Check your battery and negative connections than ground points.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi
I had similar things. On lexus and on range rover.
I am driving a 4.2SC a different engine but symptoms are showing a grounding issue or battery negative terminal. One time i bought a new but broken battery shop replaced battery after this problems.

Check your battery and negative connections than ground points.
Thanks for your kind response,

I forgot to mention that the battery was changed twice by the old owner, one time it was all drained and failed to start the car so the battery warranty covered the replacement, they also checked the car and stated that the car is okay and the new battery was broken, thus they replaced it for another one.
Now if I have checked the negative terminal and the grounding as in the instructions of the “new users info” and it went bad what am I supposed to do to fix it?

Regards,

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
245 Posts
There's some good information in the "Info - Electrical Troubleshooting" permanent section at the top of the L322 threads.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Hey there,

Regards,
Voltage sag or short on non-switched 12V causing stack to reset?

If it starts fine I wouldn’t immediately jump to the battery but while most people keep replacing batteries, no one is checking the connections on the OTHER side of the battery cables. Bond to ground and main to fuse box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Voltage sag or short on non-switched 12V causing stack to reset?

If it starts fine I wouldn’t immediately jump to the battery but while most people keep replacing batteries, no one is checking the connections on the OTHER side of the battery cables. Bond to ground and main to fuse box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I didn’t really get your first question, btw everything work fine and the car starts effortlessly, but I noticed the front fog lights, the parking sensors and the rear ac fan speed control not working if this is related.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
378 Posts
The date/time reset occurs each time 12v is “removed” from the vehicle (ie battery disconnected etc).

Make sure that both of your battery terminals are clean and secure (13mm wrench for the +ve, 10mm for the -ve).

There are multiple modules on the vehicle which retain some electrical power via a capacitor.

In order to eliminate existing capacitor draw/retention it’s probably worth removing both battery terminals and touching them together while disconnected.

Although you believe the battery is OK I recommend having the battery load tested to be absolutely certain as many electronic problems are often traced to a less than 100% serviceable battery.

Rob

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update, today the car didn’t turn on or even crank, like there wasn’t any electricity at all. However, the horn worked and I tried to turn the ac/fan knob and it actually worked.
The sat/nag screen and the dashboard didn’t even work, nothing else worked.
Tested the battery voltage it was 12.68V.
So I Removed the battery and cleaned the terminals, the positive terminal had three wires coming out of it, I removed them and cleaned them then got them back.
Cleaned nearly every earth point I could see by using glass paper.
Got everything back and the car turned on.
left the car for 20 minutes and tried to turn it on and it didn’t again, I tried to press random buttons then suddenly the electricity came back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts