Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I noticed something quirky in my 2014 Range Rover ATB LWB recently. The interior illumination control dial (located below the steering wheel on the left), which controls the brightness of the instrument panel and the infotainment screen, doesn't seem to work during the daytime. In other words, if it is light outside, I can't control the brightness of the LCD screens with that dial, and even if I turn the headlights from "Auto" to "On", the dial is still useless and the screens stay pretty bright.

My question is -- is this a design feature or is there something wrong with my interior lighting control unit? At night, whether the lights are on "Auto" or "On", I can control the brightness... though there is sometimes a delay where the brightness seems to freeze at a high level for a bit before adjusting to a dimmer setting... but during the day, even with the headlights on, I have no control of the brightness whatsoever. It just stays on the default setting and the dial is useless. In my other vehicles I have been able to control the brightness whenever the headlights are on, day or night...

Has any one else experienced this or can you control your interior brightness at all times?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I went to the dealer and verified that it is indeed a design "feature". Go figure. I love the car but it seems silly that you can't control the brightness levels of any of the LCDs during the day. I find that even when I go into tunnels during the day and the Auto headlights turn on, the brightness of the LCDs still stay at max levels. You have to be in the dark for some time before the car will let you adjust the brightness.

·
Registered
754 Posts
In my L494, which I'm assuming uses the same electronics for the TFT virtual cluster.

There is an auto light detection sensor somewhere. Drove on a bridge that has LED lights angled toward the road, so there's no glare. But my Sport picks up on the light, so as I drive, every light pole I pass, the screen will MAX out in brightness the dim again, repeat with next light pole. I can see this consistently every time I drive across this bridge.

So my theory is that if this light sensor sees daylight, it'll just max out your backliting and there's nothing you can do with it. Unless we can figure our where the sensor is.

-ThinkMac-

1 - 3 of 3 Posts