RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

After some work has been done in an authorized garage (10 yearly checkup by law of my LPI - gas installation) my dashboard illumination has stopped working. I've located the fuse (A7 I believe), checked it and it seems fine. It has already been replaced by the looks of it, it's a 10 amp now.

The weird thing is all of a sudden my front map reading light, which had never worked, started lighting up but won't turn of when I close the driver door, I have to open and close any of the rear doors to turn it off.
After checking the fuses yesterday the front map reading light won't turn on anymore.

The rest of the electrical seem to work fine. brake lights work, headlights and daylights also work.

Any suggestions of what to check next? Could this garage have changed anything in the engine bay that caused this?

Thanks

·
Registered
615 Posts
Have you checked the light dimmer
It is a dial to the right of the steering wheel on the lower dash
And I would check the door light switches
At the door frames

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the light dimmer is set to max, it doesn't make a difference when I change it. Is there by any chance some dashboard illumination wiring running from the dimmer behind the panel with the fog light switches? It had a controller for my LPI installation which is now unhooked by the garage.
Also, Am I checking the right fuse? I've checked the A7 fuse but I am following a 1990 RRC Diagram for my 1992 (with memory seats)

·
Registered
615 Posts
The 91 92 basically the same
But you may be on the right track
Something is unplugged
I would check the dimmer and the bulb
Check modual
It is in the drivers lower dash cover

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I cannot comprehend this car! earlier today I was checking fuse B2, while I put it back in I hear the seat relays on drivers and passenger side clicking. I give my broken down electric driver seat a try to see if it would move and it did. I move back to the instrument lighting problem, had the ignition on and off a couple tries only to figure out that the electric driver seat isn't working anymore. is there any particular reason for this? Seems like to motor and ECU are just fine

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would check that the dimmer is actually connected. When I bought my 93 it had no working dashboard lighting. After checking a bunch of things I found that the dimmer was simply unplugged. The cable on it is short enough that you have to disconnect it to fully drop the panel and it would be easy to forget to connect it when putting the panel back.

Here are a couple of pictures showing the panel removed and also with the dimmer connected.
IMG_5174.jpg

IMG_5175.jpg

·
Registered
64 Posts
Drop the panel below the steering wheel like Richard55 said, I'm willing to bet that your dimmer is simply unplugged.

Intermittent seat adjustment can usually be attributed to the seat control itself. They can be taken apart, cleaned, and reassembled and usually work better then. There are write-ups on this site and google.

As far as other random electrical issues - check and clean your body grounds. Any corrosion on the grounds can elicit unexpected behavior. Sometimes Replacing the cable is the option, others just cleaning the contact points is sufficient. I was having starting issues and after replacing a bunch of stuff, it finally started acting predictably and reliably after replacing the positive and negative battery cables.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Drop the panel below the steering wheel like Richard55 said, I'm willing to bet that your dimmer is simply unplugged.

Intermittent seat adjustment can usually be attributed to the seat control itself. They can be taken apart, cleaned, and reassembled and usually work better then. There are write-ups on this site and google.

As far as other random electrical issues - check and clean your body grounds. Any corrosion on the grounds can elicit unexpected behavior. Sometimes Replacing the cable is the option, others just cleaning the contact points is sufficient. I was having starting issues and after replacing a bunch of stuff, it finally started acting predictably and reliably after replacing the positive and negative battery cables.
I followed the guide on this site to clean the contacts inside the seat adjust module a few months ago and it worked wonderful for a atleast a couple weeks before it failed again. after checking the fuses it seems to work now sometimes. I'm going to reset the memory seats to see if that helps

And indeed as mentioned above the dashboard illuminaton dimmer was unplugged, I thank you all for your help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts