RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the gasket/plastic trim that runs along the top edge of the dashboard of my 2000 P38 has become unglued and has fallen below the dash edge in places, and looks terrible.
i assume this is a common problem, so i was hoping someone has a cheaper fix than replacing the entire dash (as this piece is apparently a part of the dash itself).
I am considering using a traditional door/window kerf-style weatherstripping that i saw at Home Depot if i can find it in black (they had only brown or white). It seems that i could simply pull out the original plastic strip and then wedge this weatherstripping back in its' place. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,851 Posts
Hi

The problem you have is cause by warping of the dashboard. The top layer is coming loose and pushes the gasket out of position.

The only way to do the repairs right is by removing the dash and glue everything back in place. Use hot melt glue the type you buy in sticks and apply with a melting gun. Other types of glue might work but they have to be resistant to the heat.
I also used a plastic strip before but ended up replacing the dash as the underlying plastic breaks and crumbles.

http://www.rangerovers.net/repairdetails/dash.html

Regards

Jos

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,424 Posts
The strip below the window is rubber and has a groove which slips over the edge of the dash. I may have one in the garage. I'll go and have a look. I know I did have one but I may have tossed it out.

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
p38arover said:
The strip below the window is rubber and has a groove which slips over the edge of the dash. I may have one in the garage. I'll go and have a look. I know I did have one but I may have tossed it out.
:shock: Ahh common Ron, who are you kiddin? Did you really clean out the garage? :mrgreen:

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,424 Posts
rrtoadhall said:
p38arover said:
:shock: Ahh common Ron, who are you kiddin? Did you really clean out the garage? :mrgreen:
Umm, I will one day!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
appreciate the thought anyway, Ron and Jos.....i just may try my idea, i'm not comfortable pulling out the dash.
jarl

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Hi

You might be more lucky with a rubber strip with a groove then I was with a plastic strip. The problem with the plastic strip is that it is rigid and the dashboard is curved causing it to bend in a curve will tillt it and the end result is better then without but not as good as you would like. With rubber this problem will not arise and the result might be good enough for you. Take some photo's and post them here from before and after the repair.

The end tip of the dashboard is pointing down a bit, and you can get your fingers between the edge and the underside of the dashboard after removing the rubber seal. After this you can slide the new rubber in. I did it with the plastic strip and got it fixed in an hour or so. Ended up with a blister on my finger as well.

Good luck

Jos

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Hi

Here below some pictures of the gasket. It is not glued in any way but just sits between the edges. It is very soft rubber and not able to resist the force of the top layer pushing up.

Regards

Jos

·
Registered
139 Posts
I hope some shiny armor all type stuff can help protect the dash and that gasket. I always coat mine often. I just think if it is shiny, it must be reflecting the sun, rather than absorbing it. So far, no problems with my dash or gasket, 01, 78,000 mi. Anyone have any objective discussion on whether coating the surface of the dash and gasket will help? (I have used the armor all gel, and I believe it is called F21 (green bottle) from turtle wax)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts