RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a problem with the rear offside light on my RR. The dash display shows 'Rear Light Failure' but the bulb is fine and works in the other side. When I ran a multimeter across appropriate the terminals in the connector block it shows a constant 0.5V regardless of whether the lights are switched on or off. When I do the same on the near side I get 0V when off and 12V when on (which is as I would expect.)

The MOT is now due and as it stands it's a fail so I need to sort this out asap - any suggestions as it's got me stumped.

·
Registered
211 Posts
vmystikilv said:
what about the license plate light????
That comes up as Tag Light.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Did you ever fix this problem? Mine just started doing the same thing. I have read that there have been some similar issues related to trailer lighting but mine is not wired for trailer lights.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have had a similar issue for years. When I turn on the rear fog lights, it throws the error to the message board that I have a light out, but I do not. Annoying. My theory is that there is a very minor wiring issue probably ground in the tailgate that causes the resistance to fluctuate. If I replace the bulb, it will stave off the error for a little while. I would check your grounds in the back...

·
Registered
236 Posts
Sometimes as bulbs get older the resistance (ohms) change and that is possibly what's wrong. Longshot. True for my Grand Cherokee.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I replaced the bulb that shows the error, right rear. I still got the bulb failure message. Then I swapped the bulbs from left to right and got the same right rear bulb failure message. The connection is clean. It must be a ground issue but I will have to get RAVE so I can figure out how to start tracking this down. Any tips appreciated.

·
Registered
161 Posts
wiggy said:
I've got a problem with the rear offside light on my RR. The dash display shows 'Rear Light Failure' but the bulb is fine and works in the other side. When I ran a multimeter across appropriate the terminals in the connector block it shows a constant 0.5V regardless of whether the lights are switched on or off. When I do the same on the near side I get 0V when off and 12V when on (which is as I would expect.)

The MOT is now due and as it stands it's a fail so I need to sort this out asap - any suggestions as it's got me stumped.

Change the bulb even if its working. Resistance off due to age.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts