RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
The fan speed switch for my climate control on my 94 RRC LWB started acting up a while ago. First the fan speed number 2 went out. Then it started sticking in the different positions (which took a lot of force to move). Then it failed all together.

I took the dash apart (what a PITA) and found the switch plug to be burned out in what looks to be positions 3 and 4 fan speeds (photo here: https://ibb.co/iFBhRa).

Being currently in Mazatlan Mexico, I'm thinking about just creating a work around and finding a 5 position selector switch and running the fan speed leads through the dash to this generic 5 position switch.

That being said, DOES ANYONE KNOW THE FAN SPEED SCHEMATICS AND WHAT KIND OF CURRENT FLOW GOES THROUGH THIS SWITCH? It looks like a larger gauge wire. I'm guessing it's just a basic 5 position switch, connecting the circuit of one of five leads based on the position?

You guys rock... I need this AC back in action!

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
check your resistor it is what controls your blower speed. on the rr classic up to 94 you have a heater blower and separate a/c blower.
the heater is behind the dash the a/c is on the right side foot well as per diagrams the rave is your best bet

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found the section in RAVE regarding where to find the resistor unit and how to remove it... but I didn't see anything regarding how to test it to see if it is within specs. Any help on the readings I'm looking for there? My gut is telling me this is more of a fan speed switch problem, but you're probably right that I should probably expand my diagnosis out a bit...

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
If the fan speed switch is physically jamming then stuck you will need to replace the switch anyway. Why not replace the switch as a start since it sounds like it is faulty anyway.

You might want to check your keyboard as well. Seems you have a caps lock button sticking along with bolding somehow being activated. There is no need to yell at your fellow members. :roll:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fan Speed Switch Fix - Refurb Photos and Instruction

My fan speed switch absolutely fried. First I lost fan speed #2, then it started sticking terribly. I spayed a tiny bit of WD-40 in the switch slot, worked wonders for about 2 months, but may have led to the final straw when the switch went out completely. Not a fun thing for an August in Mexico.

I used the RAVE manual and pulled apart the dash to access and remove the switch.. takes some patience, but this entire job could be done in 1-2 hours after you become experienced at pulling the dash apart. Unfortunately the 5 pin connector was also fried, and being in Mexico I'm pretty much out of luck getting a thirty year old switch and connector. You can see just how toast these parts were... reading on the forums here someone mentioned 50 amps ran through this circuit?? Not a very smart design IMO, this switch should be incredibly heavy duty for that kind of current.

IMG_4423.JPG IMG_4412.JPG

A huge thanks to ihscouts for the encouragement that this switch can be refurbished... here were his excellent instructions:

The switch is in two halves, top and bottom. Bottom has the copper contact bars brass riveted to housing half for all five positions. The slide (what you move back and forth to select speed with) has a copper shoe that is held down on the contact bars by a spring.

Over time because of the amperage the bars become warped and the shoe's spring weakens. Stretch the spring, clean the copper shoe and bars with 0000 steel wool until shiny, correct bars warp with large flat blade screw driver by pushing down on bars on a bench until the bottom half contacts bench. It's very easy, little pressure needed.

And here were the results of the refurb ... I trashed the old 5 pin connector and had to go with standard electrical connectors (which fit perfectly on the switch poles), I had to alternate connectors with insulation because otherwise they would have interfered and not fit due to how close the switch pole tabs are to each other.

IMG_4426.JPG IMG_4430.JPG

Works better than ever. Sure beats waiting 10 days without A/C for $200 in parts to arrive!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the fan speed switch is physically jamming then stuck you will need to replace the switch anyway. Why not replace the switch as a start since it sounds like it is faulty anyway.
Thanks for the re-focus... turned out to be all that I needed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts