RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

After a minor accident, I decide to install a dual camera dash cam in my range rover sport 2014. Since the interior is so beautiful, I don't want to ruin it by hanging a black wire. I decide to hardwire it so that it looks nice and the parking mode of the dash cam could be enabled.

The problem is, to hardwire it, it need to be connected to the fuse box. The first choice is the one located in the passenger side behind the glove box. That one is very deep inside, hard to operate and no ground metal in visible. Second choice would be the one located in the trunk, also in the passenger side. But I don't know how to access it. The cover does not show any sign for opening it. And the instruction from the handbook doesn't provide any detail about how to open it.

So I am here seeking for help. Does anyone has ever done anything with the fuse box of the 2014 model? If you have the related experience, could you tell me how to find the ground for the fuse box in the glove box? Or how to access the the fuse box in the trunk?

Also, if anyone knows a place that can provide high quality dash cam installation service on 2014 model in Los Angeles area, please introduce them to me!

Thanks!

Will Xu

·
Registered
12 Posts
Why does it need to go to the fuse box? Use the overhead console, it's switched power (turns on when the car is unlocked, and turns off when locked) and it will look way better. Plus it'll be way easier to rig everything to the overhead.

run a search, there's tons of threads on hardwiring radar detectors

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
To operate in parking mode (so that the camera records when parked in case someone hits the vehicle), these dash cam need unswitched power, which kinda forces you to tap into the fuse box. If you don't care about parking mode, I'd agree the easiest source of juice is in the overhead console.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
The rear fuse box is easily accessed by pulling down on the cover from the top. You won't damage it. It's been a few months but I think it's velcroed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply from you guys! I've done it today. Hard wired to the fuse box in the trunk, and all the wire are perfected hiden(although it's a little difficult on the A pillar section), and so far it works as expected.

As the second reply said, if you want your park mode function work, it needs to be connect to a constant power from battery. And I added a magic power pro to make sure it doesn't kill the battery.

I've seen a video hard wire the rader detector to the overhead console. But it was on a old model. I don't know how to access it one the new one. I'll do some research on it.

i heard porche is very sensitive on the fuse box and any hardwire would not be recommended. Hope Range Rover doesn't have the same situation.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hello everyone, just wanted to revive this thread, did anyone hardwire to the front fuse box for constant power? Which fuse to use and if there was any problems with such a connection that a car would have any problems with? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Yes I did. Its behind your front glove box. I forgot the fuse number I tapped but works like a charm with dual cameras in my car. Actually I was hit rear right quarter and the whole accident was on video including direction maps, speed everything. The other driver came off a highway and blew past a stop sign rammed me as I went past on an adjacent service road.

·
Registered
103 Posts
oh man that sucks, got a video of it? and yeah i just recently got a dash cam because someone scratched my car and i got it wired to interior lights because i was to scared connecting it to any computer part or suspansion (don't really have a lot of experience with electrical system to understand it yet) but yeah I'm curious which fuse to use to be safe from problems, if you wouldn't mind one day checking and letting me know i would greatly appreciate it! thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Yes whole accident clearly caught on video. Insurance took care of it. You cant tell the car is good as new dealer did a really good job fixing it. And I will check for you the fuse. Its a PITA to take the lower part and righ edge off for pictures, but I'll get around to it and show you. I repeated this on my new C63S with same exact camera and that works too, but you need the wiring diagram so you know which fuse is what incase they have changed since 2015.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thats good to hear! I kind of went ahead the other day and risked it, I've installed the camera to a fuse responsible for keyless entry/central locking using this from amazon Spy Tec Dash Camera Vehicle Hard Wire (Micro-USB + Fuse Kit) http://a.co/eTjKtuQ and it works pretty well so far, would you mind sharing what kind of camera and connection are you using? would it be blackvue with the power magic? i recently bought a goluk t2 and I'm debating wether to buy another one perhaps two, one for the back and another for the interior just because it would catch the shot outside of the side windows but I'm not sure if that would be overkill ;)[h=1][/h]

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have actually stayed in the car long enough for it to shut everything off and I noticed the horn will stay active even after all the other accessories will shut down so I've switched from the key less/central door lock to horn, seem kind of safer IMO but who knows ;) I'm still curious of how you did it so whenever you get a chance please let me know, so I know what to use and how so I don't fry my camera because by reviews, it has been done ;) thanks again

1 - 14 of 14 Posts