RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.
I just picked up a 2011 RRS HSE.
I am interested in installing a dash cam but am coming across a few issues.
First. As my vehcle is only a few hours old I am not sure how I feel about ripping it apart and crimping wires before I talk to some Rover afficinadio's.

The dash cam would be similar to this:

http://dashcamtalk.com/finevu-cr-500hd/

In addition, I intend to run it in "park mode" which essentially means it has a motion detecor and g-force detector for any sudden bumps to start recording. In order for this feature to NOT drain my battery they suggest installing a

battery discharge device. http://dashcamtalk.com/battery-discharge-prevention/

The question to y'all is this.

For the battery discharge prevention device (BDP) I need a constant hot 12V supply. I am not sure if this will fit n the roof panel light section or if I should go directly to the fuse box. I am under the impression this may be similar to hardwiring a radar detector however.

Let me know what your thoughts are :)

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Let us know how you resolve this. I have my two DVRs piggybacked to my radar detector (windshield cam) and spliced into the 12v lead in the trunk (rear window cam) on my LR4 for the time being, so no Park mode for me as both cameras currently turn off with the ignition. However, next week I am receiving a Traxide auxiliary battery kit with extra 12v sockets for the trunk to power my refrigerator, chargers, lights and other 12v crap when wheeling on multi-day trips. So, I will also rewire both cameras to the deep cycle Optima installed under the hood to be on 24/7, and enable parking mode. The Traxide kit includes an Auxiliary Battery Guard (similar to the battery discharge device you mention above, although designed specifically for a deep cycle cell) for the aux battery, so I'll be good to go after that. Having a dedicated auxiliary battery for all these devices makes me feel better than drawing juice from the cranking battery.

That looks like a nice dash cam, BTW. I have a Cowon AC1 and a Blackvue DR500GW-HD on mine. The Cowon has somewhat better video resulution but lacks GPS and wi-fi, which the Blackvue has... I think the dash cam market is mature enough for a major player (Sony, etc.) to get in the game with a fully featured and high quality product. All these Korean, Chinese and Taiwanese offerings are cheap, but of dubious quality and middling performance, and unfortunately we don't have much of a choice right now.

·
Registered
436 Posts
This market is big in the 18 wheeler trucking industry. One would think there would be quite a few devices to choose from by now..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got it installed for a cool 75 dollars in minneapolis!
It is a blackvue and it is amazing. Wifi. Parking sensor. Etc. I got it from Ebay (via Korea "dream-seller") . Came the same week. perfect packing. perfect condition. It is hard wired in with a sensor to prevent discharging. I went to the stereo install shop- they had a few pertinent questions and did it in less than an hour. it works perfect.

photo 1.JPG photo 2 (1).JPG photo 4.JPG

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
photo 4.JPG photo 2 (1).JPG photo 1.JPG

The camera was installed at a local stereo install place. 75 bucks. Excellent. WIFI to my phone for "events." Has a motion sensor parking mode. Looks great. Blackvue

·
Registered
260 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Where are you picking up the power from? I plan to have a local shop do the install, but I want to give them some direction. They don't work on many newer RR's. I have a 2013 RRS I want to outfit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts