Range Rovers Forum banner

Dash Board Issues

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  RangeRoMo 
#1 ·
My dash board has been going haywire. it flickers on and off as if i just put the key in the on position. giving that annoying beeping warning for like seat belt etc... it does this while in motion, or stopped. the needles go up and down repeatedly. and just yesterday the dash completely went dead...nothing on the message center and all needles down. then it would randomly come on and off. Any suggestions? Thanks in Advance.

#3 ·
I had the same problem with my '02...Ended up being my alternator as my new new Optimus battery was pretty much drained from a short drive from the store...Gauges would flicker and warning lights would trip...These rigs need a constant power source and any sign of loss, things start to get messy...Installed a new alt. and all problems went away...

#4 ·
i havent gotten around to check the connections just yet. i kind of suspected that since the installation of my viper (i dont trust their work 100%). i figured maybe they did something faulty under the steering column because i would hit that area during the flickering and it would stop sometimes. lmao (desperate measures)

i just replaced my alternator last yr...but maybe the installation of my viper is drawing more power...therefore causing the issue.

i also have a bad crankshaft sensor that needs to be changed and i thought maybe that could be causing it also. the crankshaft sensor is going to be changed first but in the mean time i guess i can check the power output of my alternator. What is a good working alternator supposed to read?

Thanks a million...its always therapeutic reading responses that may help!

#7 ·
I am very interested to know if checking the wiring and earths fixed it. I have the same problem and started with the same symptoms, including the flickering, alarms sounding and something clicking near the shifter but it deteriorated to the point where it won't start again. I have an optima better by the way and I am not sure if that combination of bad alternator/dying battery may be the culprit. Officially it has been blamed on the BeCM. I checked the earths and connections but it didn't fix it. The car won't start now.

#11 ·
Hey fellow Rover heads....so the problem was finally solved...it turned out to be some exposed wires in the harness from my alarm installation (No surprise there). Though the guy argued with me that ppl do that all the time..."that" being getting work done then let someone else touch the car then mess it up and come and blame it on them. Sure enough he was nowhere to be found after his tech discovered where the problem was.

Thanks for the help....it took me a while because i had to make sure that it actually stopped and its been over 2 months since i havent heard a beep.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.