RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dash annoying buzz noise from windshield cowl panel lower finisher, or is it?

I've been reading in the forums about this problem that seems to bother everyone...it is terribly annoying on my 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2. We recently took a 1200 mile trip and I wanted to shoot myself about 500 miles into the trip! Today, I decided to take my cowl off. The first thing I noticed was the corrugated black tubes (I assume drain tubes).

Now granted, I have not read all the forum posts about the buzz noise, but so far, I have heard/seen no one address the possibility that these tubes are the cause. It just seems to me that you have a tube, with air blowing in the car at 65mph, and you might just have a simple wind instrument! I mean, that's how most simple flutes, clarinets, etc work. Wind/air forced through a tube.

To me anyway, this seems to make more sense that just about anything I've seen as to what causes this annoying Rover problem.

Any thoughts????

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Dash annoying buzz noise from windshield cowl panel lower finisher, or is it?

I know where this flex tube fits onto the underneath of the cowl...but where does it go to empty? I couldn't find the connection. On the driver's side it was very obvious. By the batter compartment (and I even removed the battery) I can't find where it fits to drain. Help please! Thanks

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Re: Dash annoying buzz noise from windshield cowl panel lower finisher, or is it?

I have this buzz too... My idea (which I haven't executed yet) was to put black tape over one area at a time until the buzzing stops. Once I've narrowed it down dismantle whatever area it is and fix the problem. I can't see dismantling random parts without having at least narrowed it down to a general area first. Painful to invest a bunch of time in a suspected area only to get out onto the highway and have it buzz. I think there was some mention the problem might be with the cowl doors (behind the firewall visible with the cabin filter housing removed) staying open at highway speeds... apparently they're supposed to close. Indeed very annoying, my current remedy is to crack the sun roof which gives me some relief.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,930 Posts

You may have good luck with adding some 3M strip caulk to the top edge of the cowl panel,
first use a rag and a flat piece of plastic to clean the area,
then lift the edge up and add a strip of this across the whole lower edge.

NOTE their may be a strip already installed if so clean and add more.

gently press the cowl panel back onto the windshield

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

My buzz is gone...lost my buzz! ha Here's what I did. I took off the wipers and cowl. I cleaned everything on the windshield, and under cowl while I had things apart to remove all dust, dirt, etc. I removed any remaining sticky tape from under side of cowl, cleaned it with Simple Green, prepped it with adhesion promoter, and spray painted it with Vinyl and plastic trim paint (satin)..also painted the 4 circular pins. I bought a large caulk gum size of black silicone sealant and I caulked the entire length of the windshield at the lower portion between glass and metal....then on the back side of the cowl, I ran a line of caulk the entire length of the cowl at the uppermost part where the cowl lays down against the glass. I popped off the lower portion of the windshield pillar covers and then carefully guided the cowl back over the wiper posts and such making sure to not make a mess of things with the black caulk. Then I put everything back on. I had marked the wiper position prior to removing them by taking a straight edge and holding it against the straight side of the wiper mounts, then marking the angle with a Sharpie on the lower part of the glass. This worked because my wipers are back at exactly the same angle as they were from the factory. The only thing I could not figure out was where the passenger side flex drain tube off the cowl terminated. I even took the battery completely out and even removed the battery tray but did not see anything other than a rubber elbow towards the engine side and this turned down and was open. I don't think the cowl tube goes there because it is too short to reach from the that point all the way over to the cowl connection. After I had everything back in and such, I did read somewhere that the drain tube goes into the fender....however I just don't recall seeing a fender connection anywhere. I'm still waiting for someone to show me a photo on the drain tube terminus.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
79 Posts

I had this buzz today. Extremely loud starting at about 70mph. I opened the hood an noticed my pollen filter box under the cowl was not seated correctly. I removed the two nuts pulled it forward, and firmly reseated it making sure the three plastic guides above it were pressed firmly against the top. When I got back on the highway, it was quite as a mouse all way up to 90mph.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts

I ran a strip of electrical tape on lower glass and cowl strip all the way across. Noise gone so will now clean under strip and run a bead of urethane caulk. It may not be the cause but it solves the problem. It could well be caused by info in above post. The tape is quick and lasts at least a month if you are in a pinch and it is mild enough for it to bond to the glass and plastic when applied. I wiped with alcohol first.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I started experiencing the windshield wind noise after my windshield was replaced. There were several things that I did to localize the problem. I removed the A pillar external covers on both sides and used OEM clips. Took the truck for a spin and still had the noise. I then placed painters tape along the bottom on the windshield along the cowl trim, covering where the rubber trim meets the windshield. Took the truck for another spin and the noise went away. The problem that I found was related to the shop not sealing the rubber seal that runs along the bottom of the windshield with a sealant. The wind was getting under the rubber causing the humming sound. I pulled the rubber piece back away from the windshield cleaned behind it along the bottom of the windshield with alcohol and used Permatex black Silicone Adhesive sealant to seal the rubber trim, I then secured the trim with painters tape to allow the rubber trim to bond with the sealant until it cures. Be sure to check that most or all of the oil sealant has been removed prior to adding the new sealant.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts