RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
In the past few weeks i had my RRS Supercharged 2009 4.2L engine that started to overheat with a couple of coolant problems, just two weeks ago while driving in the highway the car started to overheat with lack of power, just a minutes after stopping and checking the engine on highway i got an oil burning smell and a huge fume came from the exhaust and under the hood, opened the hood and found huge leak near battery that looks to be coming from the PCV. :???:

go the car to a garage and after they opened the engine they told me that the piston broke and scratched deep the block that couldnt be repaired or resurfaced which needs a new engine. (please check attached pics)
20161217_142411.jpg
20161217_142416.jpg

may i know if it's possible to change the blocks only without changing all the engine or is it better to swap with a new engine ?

Thanks in advance

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
There is no sense doing this piece meal after the engine has been toasted like that. At a minimum you would want a short block. That is the block, crank and pistons. You MAY be able to salvage your heads if the piston bits did not damage the head on that bank. Obviously if you reuse your current heads they should go through a full rebuild and surfacing.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
144 Posts
Yeah your in a tough spot. New engine (well used that is). Then see if this damaged one can be repaired, it's aluminum so possible. If can repair you have a backup or something to sell to get back some cash. When my head blew I researched a lot of engines just in case, some good deals on used and complete systems.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
It would be a miracle if the head wasn't damaged too.
I'd look for an assembled long block and on from there.
Can the sleeves not be replaced on those though??

Martin

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
One can fix almost anything. But you have to know what the real problem is and what options exist, then make a choice. As for the sleeves, not sure, haven't screwed mine up that bad yet!

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Fi like Rover parts for lots of stuff but not that engine block. Of course for me it's multiplied by 130% exchange, shipping, duties at a ridiculous percentage making it useless. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
As for the images, not good enough to see. But getting there I see. ;)

·
Registered
844 Posts
''may i know if it's possible to change the blocks only without changing all the engine""

There is only one block and that is the large casting that contains all of the other parts like pistons, etc.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Sure. But to be honest, swapping an entire used engine is far easier than swapping a block. Everything is attached to the block.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I may be wrong but I think the OP was not sure what the block was. I agree that replacing the engine would be the smartest and most economical route.
There must be a few good used Jaguar engines around from wrecks.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Yeah I tracked down 8 in great shape averaging about $6500 US supercharger included. Would have gone that route if things had been worse.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts