RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran over something going about 50 mph this past week that led to what I initially thought was two flat right tires. Turns out my rims were damaged from impact.

Long story short, the rims I have (707 turbines) actually are silver with a medium silver inside which I cannot get from LR. I had bought a set off ebay in 2017 from a seller who listed them as take offs from LR at an auto show. Was not listed as replicas and not priced as replicas (or as high as a dealer), and when they arrived everything looked legit, so I didn't think much of it at the time.

However, I just ordered a replacement rim and found out that the OEM silver 707 turbine has a gunmetal grey inside, not medium silver. So I'm stuck with two rims that I can't match, so since I'm going to have to get a completely new set, I've decided to change the look to rationalize/justify the cost.

I am not certain the rims I have are replicas, because I assume replicas would look identical to OEM (and ebay sellers are not shy stating their rims are replicas), so my theory is maybe these are some sort of pre-production/non-retail rim maybe, but at any rate I made it over 30,000 miles on them without issue.

Here's what I had originally and what I switched to:
oem.JPG
RRS707.jpg

I like the following rims and curious to hear any thoughts. Surprisingly each rim below is cheaper than the silver turbine rims which seem to be the most expensive rims LR carries:
-silver/black/gun metal grey five spoke accessory wheels (these have been around since 2014 and are similar to what was on the pre-2018 L405 SV autobiography)
-2018+ silver SVR
-2018+ two tone pincer
-2018+ black pincer
-2018+ SV ATB rims from L405

Here are most of the options on a firenze red sport, I can't find an example with the silver accessory wheels:
accgrey.jpg
accblack2.jpg
svr.jpg
pincertt.jpeg
pincerblack.jpg
svatb.jpeg

The SVR and accessory wheels are nice but may be too similar to what I originally had. And yes I realize how the car came looks nice (sometimes leaving things alone is the right decision!) but I really liked the turbine look and what's done is done :mrgreen:.

I'm not so sure going all black as it's maybe a bit too trendy to me and I do like some contrast.

Curious to hear any thoughts--the silver and black accessory rims and two tone pincers can be in a few days, the other wheels would take a week to get in.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I like the first set of wheels you posted - they are black. They would look best if you changed out the trim pieces to all black as well. I believe the oem offset is 49 you may want to find a set that is closer to 45 so they sit a bit more proud. One thing to keep in mind with non oem wheels is the load rating, you want to make sure whatever wheel you choose has at least the minimum load rating stamped into the wheel on the backside. From memory I believe the RRS is 940kg per wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. All of the wheels listed are LR rims, so I assume they all have the same bolt pattern, 22x9.5 size, and load rating.

I’m leaning towards the two tone pincer. Can get them this week, they are only available on the current L494 on the ATB trim and are also on L405s, and they are $400 cheaper than the turbines.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Are you only looking at OEM wheels, or have you looked at some from the Vossen range? They are in the supporting vendors section and have a lot of good looking alloys. I am personally a big fan of the concave look, but they have a good selection of all kinds to choose from?
I have the CV3R ones on my ride, 22x10.5.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Out of what you listed I like the two-tone pincer as well, but also like the first ones in black. I would second a rec for looking at Vossen - lots of style and color choices and a fair amount of customization if you want to say add center rings that match your truck to add a little pop.

Thanks for the input. All of the wheels listed are LR rims, so I assume they all have the same bolt pattern, 22x9.5 size, and load rating.

I’m leaning towards the two tone pincer. Can get them this week, they are only available on the current L494 on the ATB trim and are also on L405s, and they are $400 cheaper than the turbines.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow those are really nice--thanks for posting.

I usually like to stick with OEM options, and I'm not sure how long it would take to get aftermarket rims in.

I'm going to order the two tone pincers tomorrow. This is the dealer listing from LR West Chester in PA where I found the picture and helped me decide.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Why don’t you just take the new wheel and have it painted to match what you had, if you were happy with that. Nowadays there are mobile wheel repair that can come out and repair curb rash and repaint the wheel very easily. Makes more sense if your happy with your current style.

·
Registered
126 Posts
If it was me I'd fit 20's or even 18's and fill the gap with rubber instead. That way you'd pretty much eliminate the risk that it happens again, and also get a better ride. It also allows you to use your offroad vehicle for what it was designed to do.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I briefly thought about painting the rims or even powder coating them initially. However, I bought the rims thinking they were OEM, but once I found out that may not be the case, I no longer wanted to keep them, and even if I did I could not find rims to match.

In retrospect I'm not glad it happened, but if something was going to be a result of potentially driving on non-OEM rims, I am lucky that it was something relatively minor and close to home and am glad to be moving on from them.

I still have one rim as a spare which I'll leave because the dealer told me they don't care if it matches on trade-ins, just that it is a full size spare.

The dealer was able to get 2 rims from Pennsylvania quickly, but the other two rims are coming ground from Memphis. I was able to get back on the road today albeit with rims that don't match (but are not that different), but I'll get everything squared away next week.

I'd love to take the vehicle off-roading after I did the LR experience a few months ago, and agree the 22's aren't the way to do it, but they look so good!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts