RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a really daft sounding question: where the heck is the engine number on a TD6?

Yes, I too have figured out that it must be on the engine somewhere...

The problem is I can't remotely see it looking from above. I know what the number is as its in the registration document but I need to know where it is on the vehicle in case I get asked tedious questions by tedious customs officials going through various borders.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
That should read: "The TD6 engine serial number is stamped on the LH side of the engine block, but as a normally sized human being cannot see it under even the best of circumstances without dismantling most of the top of the motor, we choose to ignore its presence"

When I registered my TD6 here in France, I had to supply the motor number to LR France for a 'certificate of conformity' as I'd purchased the car in Germany. When I realized that there was nearly no way to see the number with most of the motor intact, I called LR and asked if they really expected me to take apart the top of the motor for the number. The reply was 'Yes we know its difficult to read. Is the motor original? Then we'll just skip this for the certificate.' :roll:
(and they charged me €180 (thats over $200!) for a piece of paper stating that my RR conforms to French regulations. It used to be €120 - which I already thought was absolutely ridiculous - but €180...)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As ever RR.net comes up with the answer!!

Many thanks for this guys. Just imagine the hassle when I cross a border in Africa and the customs guys want to make sure I have the right engine under the bonnet... I think that might be the moment to offer an appropriate gift :lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts