RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Note: That's supposed to say Housing and not ousing lol.

As myself and a few other members on this site were experiencing the same issues with the OEM temp gauge (mainly the issue I was having was that it would stay slightly above the while line on the cold position even when running for hours and never reach the halfway mark which led me to doubt its ability to warn me in time if over heating occured) so I asked a mate of mine Steve to go about building me a custom gauge housing while trying to achieve an OEM look.
After much debate on where to put the new Cyberdyne digital gauge (mates wanted me to sacrifice the clock but that was never gonna happen) and also try to keep my rig looking as stock as possible we decided to the left of the facia would suit our needs best.
I had seen a few pictures of guys who replaced their OEM temp gauges in the cluster with a digital gauge and in my opinion it just didn't look right.
So Steve (custom housing and pod builder in his spare time ) set about getting his position right and after ensuring that there was enough space behind that corner of the facia for the gauge he set his gauge ring in position and made his mould.
10033_538614232862447_1707183398_n.jpg
922702_538614259529111_1021196421_n.jpg
580672_538614189529118_1418891337_n.jpg
After countless coats of product and painstaking sanding down after each layer dried (He was incredibly meticulous every step of the way) he sprayed her with primer which is how she looks now just waiting to be painted.
photo 1 (2).jpg
photo 2 (2).jpg
photo 2.jpg
photo 3.jpg
photo 4.jpg
photo 5.jpg
The last and final step will be to re-paint the trim.I have been looking for as close a match as possible to the original facia colour and so far the closest I've found is SEM trim paint charcoal metalic.
If anyone on here knows of a better/closer match to the original trim colour I'd appreciate the input.

·
Registered
123 Posts
looks good buddy! Any reason why you didnt replace the stock temp gauge with the newer gauge? I recall a member here, I believe from Albany NY, installing one at the OEM location and looked really good..

As far color match, I recently used the SEM vinyl/plastic Landau color and it looks spot on..

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I seen the one you're talking about and it looks good no doubt about it but my personal preference is that sticking a digital gauge in the cluster just looks out of place IMHO but not to take from Albany's job.
I just prefer to keep the stock temp gauge and add a more reliable one as a sort of safe gaurd.
I've ordered the SEM charcoal metallic trim paint so even if its slightly off it won't be noticable as I'll paint the whole facia with it.
looks good buddy! Any reason why you didnt replace the stock temp gauge with the newer gauge? I recall a member here, I believe from Albany NY, installing one at the OEM location and looked really good..

As far color match, I recently used the SEM vinyl/plastic Landau color and it looks spot on..

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
883 Posts
Looks great! I wish I could find something more similar to the original color as well. I had to use satin black and it looks wrong.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks great! I wish I could find something more similar to the original color as well. I had to use satin black and it looks wrong.
Well I'll take before and after pictures of the facia when it comes time to spray it and if its spot on then we know the SEM charcoal metallic is the one and if not then we can cross that and satin black off the list lol.
What did you do to your facia that it needed re-spraying?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Looks great Tom, I do like that location. I am of course the member who had one installed in the original temp spot. I do like it there, though I find it a bit bright at times. I am going to have to look into somehow dimming it.

Let us know how the color match comes out, and of course provide final pictures!

As a reference, here is mine:

photo.jpg

·
Registered
883 Posts
Well I'll take before and after pictures of the facia when it comes time to spray it and if its spot on then we know the SEM charcoal metallic is the one and if not then we can cross that and satin black off the list lol.
What did you do to your facia that it needed re-spraying?
It was the radio trim. It's (supposed to be) that same dark gray plastic. I also tried a Rust Oleom gray and it looked even worse than the black.

·
Registered
115 Posts
It does look nice... This is what I would like to blend into my dash.. http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/
This little bugger has much more info available such as fault codes and alarms for when your not watching your temp gauge.. The best part is it's less than $80...

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya sorry it was you Steve, dunno how I forgot that seen as we were back and forth trying to figure out how to fix the original gauge in the first place.
Steve did your new gauge not come with auto dimming?
My Cyberdyne unit has a cable that you connect to the out going feed for the headlights which automatically dims brightness by 50% once the headlights get turned on.I'm sure yours must have had that option too but your mechanics may have just not bothered to connect it.
Looks great Tom, I do like that location. I am of course the member who had one installed in the original temp spot. I do like it there, though I find it a bit bright at times. I am going to have to look into somehow dimming it.

Let us know how the color match comes out, and of course provide final pictures!

As a reference, here is mine:

View attachment 17225

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Best part of mine was I got the whole lot moulded and new temp gauge for free lol.Pays to have decent mates.
I'm not sure how you'd go about blending that puppy into the dash while trying to keep the stock look?Its pretty big mate.That's what she said lol.
It does look nice... This is what I would like to blend into my dash.. http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/
This little bugger has much more info available such as fault codes and alarms for when your not watching your temp gauge.. The best part is it's less than $80...

·
Registered
883 Posts
Ya sorry it was you Steve, dunno how I forgot that seen as we were back and forth trying to figure out how to fix the original gauge in the first place.
Steve did your new gauge not come with auto dimming?
My Cyberdyne unit has a cable that you connect to the out going feed for the headlights which automatically dims brightness by 50% once the headlights get turned on.I'm sure yours must have had that option too but your mechanics may have just not bothered to connect it.
I'd tap into the radio harness if I were you. That'd probably be the easiest.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd tap into the radio harness if I were you. That'd probably be the easiest.
Really?Was thinking more so about connecting in to the headlight switch itself if that is possible but whichever is easier.How easy/difficult is it to connect into the radio harness?

·
Registered
883 Posts
Best part of mine was I got the whole lot moulded and new temp gauge for free lol.Pays to have decent mates.
I'm not sure how you'd go about blending that puppy into the dash while trying to keep the stock look?Its pretty big mate.That's what she said lol.
You could probably put it in the factory cubby/nav location. But if I were to do that I'd put it in my console or glove box.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Really?Was thinking more so about connecting in to the headlight switch itself if that is possible but whichever is easier.How easy/difficult is it to connect into the radio harness?
Shouldn't be too hard. You just need to look at the diagram to see which wire is the illumination wire. It would dim with the rest of the lights.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Where do you plan to add the sender unit?
Funny you should ask that question because I personally didn't want it to be attached to any of the coolant hoses as IMHO it would create a weak point so while cleaning down my block I noticed that there is a point that's perfect for the sender unit to screw right into.Someone correct me if I'm wrong?
photo 1.jpg
photo 2.jpg
I mean it seems like the perfect place to attach a temp sensor unless I'm mistaken?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Tom I would be very careful about attaching to the engine block itself. My mechanics attached it to the thermostat bypass hose, and as long as it is in a vertical position (to prevent bubbles) and clamped down tight with proper clamps, you will be fine.

Screwing something into the engine itself worries me a bit.

Here is mine:

photo (3).jpg

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Hi

The best place to put a sensor is at the outlet where the cooling water exits the engine. This is where the factory sensor is located. I am not sure about the bosch but on the later GEMS engines LR relocated the sensor, leaving the old probe connection blanked off with a similar plug as displayed in your photo.

Or relocate the factory sensor to the old position, and use the original connection for your new sensor. Some of the old engines are still running with the sensor from this old connection. I personally changed my engine from a 1995 to a 1998. The old engine run 260K Km with the sensor in the old position without any problems.

Regards

Jos

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts
OEM's have been running sensors in the block's water jacket for decades, nothing wrong with it.
A cylinder head would be better, as it would be more accurate, but you will soon know the reference point anyways, so if the head reads 210 degrees, and the block is 205, you know that 205 is the norm on the new gauge.
I just installed a Autometer pod for the LSx engine temp, oil pressure and tranny temp gauges. Not as much time on my hands I guess....:lol:

Martin

·
Registered
476 Posts
Martin, wondering what would be considered normal...on the highway I usually stay 199-202 degrees F. In traffic with AC on I see temps as high as 215, but they do quickly go down to 205ish in city driving...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts