RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have installed a set of ARNOTT GEN III air springs on my 2000 P38 and currently having a custom set of Bilstein shocks made to maximize the extended lengths these bags offer.

The stock Bilstein shocks for the P38 have lengths as follow:
B46-2214 Front: 338mm(13.3”) – 535mm(21”)
B46-2215 Rear: 311mm(12.2”) – 482mm(18.7”)

Looking at using the Bilstein 5150 BF5-A195-H1 360mm(14.2”) – 571mm(22.5”)

This means you have to install a 1” higher bump stop on the front and 2” higher bump stop for the rear to avoid destroying the shock on compression. Using the leverage of the axle geometry gives you 1.5” less articulation on compression in the front and 2.5” less on the rear.
This shock will still not give you maximum extension on the front and if used in the rear will over extend the bag by almost 4”.

So I have called on the Bilstein agent in South Africa who is also one of the best custom system builders for off road racing in SA to make this work for me.

The design so far:
Bilstein 46mm mono tube pressurized gas shock using the bigger new 18mm shaft (awaiting specs and confirmation from Germany) with a shock mounted extended canister. Valve rates are left same as the stock P38 values for now.

Front Collapsed: 338mm(13.3”) same as stock so using the stock length bump stops.
Front Extended: 580mm(23”)
This gives 10” travel, with a bit of safety on the collapsed side it is actually 9” travel which is a little more than Arnott recommend and you can adjust this with spacers at installation.

Rear Collapsed: 311mm(12.2”) same as stock so using the stock length bump stops.
Rear Extended: 526mm(21”)
Due to the rear shock mounted at an angle to the axle travel you get more axle travel than shock travel so this gives almost 12” travel on the axle but with the collapsed safety margin is more like 11” which is a little more than Arnott recommend and you can adjust this with spacers at installation.

A ball park estimate for this once off set is around $1600.

Any comments or suggestions on this welcome please!

CRV

·
Registered
543 Posts
How zit !

Kmag has Doetsch-tech Pre-Runner 8000's fitted to his P38 and these were sourced stateside from www.doetsch-shocks.com ?
These are more suitable to the low to mid speed off-road conditions one could experience in Namibia or Botswana, where as the Bilstiens I must agree are ideal for higher speed on/off road tarmac terrorising as I've got them fitted to my Classic Hi-line.

The Pre-runner's were the first generation twin tube, progressive rated 18mm shaft foam cell shocks that have stemmed from the off-road racing fraternity in the US and have been well proven over the past 25 years and offer an extra 2 inches of travel !

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

·
Legacy Vendor
341 Posts
Are you running any lift on your Rangie? This will affect the length of the shock you use.

I also have Gen III's, a 50mm suspension lift and Bilstein shocks and have been experimenting with bump stops - see this article http://paulp38a.com/99p38a/bump-stops/

The rears shocks are taken from the front (B46-2215) - 534mm open, 337mm closed.

The front shocks are B46-1477 (91-97 LandCruiser) with eye fitted to top - 619mm open, 390mm closed.

Standard 60mm bump stops at rear, 90mm bump stops at front. Adjusted EAS ride heights to suit - all is good... other than vibration in front prop shaft and wandering due to 50mm lift :eek: double cardon shaft and castor shims will fix this one day.

Cheers, Paul.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,491 Posts
PaulP38A said:
The rears shocks are taken from the front (B46-2215) - 534mm open, 337mm closed.
Hi Paul,

I believe you made a mistake : the rear shocks are taken from the front (B46-2214)

Cheers

Flo

1 - 5 of 5 Posts