RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am talking to a dealer that has a 08 SC with 160k miles. Was maintained well but he told me there is 4 holes in the front which he thinks was used to have the rover towed from a motorhome/rv. Now everywhere i have ready says you cannot tow this vehicle as no neutral in the TC and the truck had a Florida life but was often in CO so I really wonder. I have attached pictures of the holes, maybe someone else can shed some light.

I am not sure what it is about a L322 but IMO its very breath taking timeless iconic design. With the plethora of upgrade options to facelift and convert and tons of modifications it makes for a quite fun "project". My dream spec L322 SC would be a green with ivory white interior.

My budget is $5k. Under 170k miles ideally.

Attachments

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
On second thought if a plate was mounted there wouldn't it cover the PDC holes? Perhaps it was those big bull bars or a grill guard?

The truck has good service history and the current dealer has had it for many months and has been using it frequently he has put a couple thousand miles himself with no issues.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Not sure about towing in neutral but any possibility the driveshafts were disconnected if the range was told. Perhaps have a look at the Ujoint nuts to see if any sign of recent wrenching. ditto for areas under/inside the front bumper. A good mystery!

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,941 Posts
those holes are for the brush bar add on not from a towing frame
google 2008 range rover brush bar
41iLyk9Zu6L._AC_.jpg

·
Registered
52 Posts
I won't say there is a "ton of optional equipment" You be hard pressed to find bushbars and they cost a pretty penny from my searching. There are aftermarket sidesteps which really help getting in and out of the vehicle, my wife has short legs so that was a must. Don't go for the cheapest roof rack option as they generally are noisy as this vehicle likes to cruise at a 100km. Aftermarket lights are hit and miss, I used the outer lens to replace a broken one but kept the OEM inner workings. You can get fancy door handles, still mulling that one. Buying tires are a pain thanks to the 19/20" rims. I am very pleased with my 2006, reliable and easy to drive. Great turning circle and oodles of power.

·
Registered
423 Posts
those holes are for the brush bar add on not from a towing frame
google 2008 range rover brush bar View attachment 284947
Bingo!
as much as I hate these things, maybe you can find shorter ones at a local parts store to cover the holes temporarily.

I see many l322s being parted out on Craigslist. You can probably pick up a used skin for cheap.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Spot on guys thanks for the help it was the grill guard.

I was ready to wire over the money and had him send me some more up close pics/videos before I did and good thing I did because noticed the air suspension had been converted to coilovers. It looked like they were brand new.

Main reason I like the ride in my l405 and my old 750/etc was because of how comfortable the air suspension makes the ride. And the added features of being able to use the different settings to take it off roading, etc is one of the main reasons I wanted to get a L322 SC as a fun project.

I did a quick search into seeing how it would go converting it back to air suspension but it seemed like a lost cause and way more money than I am willing to spend.

I have decided not to purchase this rover and will continue looking for another l322.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did some more research can anyone help with what I would need if i was to bring this truck back to air from coils?

2X front struts/bags
2x rear struts/bags
1x air compressor

What about valve blocks? Is wiring hacked and cut when users install springs?

I don't want to get this truck and be in the process of converting it to air and deal with cut wires and hack wiring from previous owners.

Would you guys convert a l322 from coils back to air?

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,131 Posts
If you could beat the seller low enough and the wiring and everything but the shocks and airbags were intact, sure I would buy one, but it would have to be cheap. Just the 2 front structs, rear air bags and rear shocks will run you anywhere from 1000 to 2500 depending on if you want original or aftermarket. If the wiring, compressor, airlines and height sensors were removed then they would have to give it to me for $1.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The Super charge L322 is just streets ahead of the regular L322 of the same vintage, they just handle so much better and the engine is outstanding. L322 EAS is very reliable, why on earth would you convert to coils? Coils sag and fail too, suspension parts should be viewed as a consumable part, just like tires. If you are getting 100,000 out of a set of air springs its pretty good value really

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thats really why I want a L322 SC. I have a l405 and i've driven the l405 v6 and the hse v8 and they just don't have the same "wow" factor the v8 sc does.

Not to mention I have seen so many l322 sc from 06-09 go 250k+

its crazy how you can get a 2010-2011 l322 for a couple bucks more but the issues with the coolant, timing chain, injectors, etc, its a whole list is a really big turn off

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have always loved the l322s. I wanted one in 2003 when they came out (thank goodness I didn't buy one then)! I picked up a 2008 SC in 2018 with 47,000 miles on it in pristine condition. Yes, a paid a lot more than $5,000 for it but it has been bullet proof. The only thing I have replaced is O2 sensors. Just finished new pads, rotors and sensors all around at 75,000 miles. The 07,08 and 09 SCs are the l322s to get if you want one. The holy grail being the 09 autobiography. Good luck in your search. Spend a little more to get the right one to start with!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts