RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought 22" wheels a couple months back....

Quick story shorter.....came home today to inspect, as I always do, and noticed bad curb rash on passengers front wheel

Btw.....wife drives it to her work.....so it wasn't me

Quick yelp search and noticed a few highly recommended mobile spots that come to your house and are done in about an hour.

Anyone have experience in wheel repairs? Cost per wheel?

Totally lost my appetite tonight.....

Attachments

·
Registered
405 Posts
Don't worry. I have had mine fixed twice and you can't see where the offense happened. Mine was paid with a warranty but it is not expensive. Maybe $100?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Sorry to hear, that's the worst feeling ever! I have had several repairs at $150/wheel for curb rash. But the wheel and tire insurance is a must! Last week with 400 miles on my 2015 RRS and 22"s my wife (seriously!) hit a pothole and blew two tires! Would have been $1100 for two Contis. AWRS Alloy Wheel Repair Service may be nationwide and is mobile. My dealer arranged most of my refinishing on my previous RRS.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
1,986 Posts
It's just a curb rash. $100 tops from a wheel finisher done at dealership.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
124 Posts
It's just a curb rash.
well said. I have had to get used to it given that I am not bringing any of my cars to compete @PebbleBeach

In my geo, I have a local tire shop to which I have paid about $150/rim several times over the years to get rash removed on, admittedly, even lower profile tires on our other cars.

Short of not treating our daily drivers as, well, daily drivers, I have yet to be effective in getting (ahem) one of the two people that drive our cars to avoid either this damage or door dings. Please do share if you come up with an effective strategy here.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Sorry to hear, that's the worst feeling ever! I have had several repairs at $150/wheel for curb rash. But the wheel and tire insurance is a must! Last week with 400 miles on my 2015 RRS and 22"s my wife (seriously!) hit a pothole and blew two tires! Would have been $1100 for two Contis. AWRS Alloy Wheel Repair Service may be nationwide and is mobile. My dealer arranged most of my refinishing on my previous RRS.
PLEASE elaborate on this wheel and tire insurance i have never heard of it. does it really cover rashes? nails? how much and how long?

·
Registered
2014 RRS
1,419 Posts
Interesting all the blame goes to the wives. :) I'll be a man and admit to rashing my right rear wheel earlier this month after aquiring brand new 22" wheels/tires just one week earlier, ugh. I'll wait a few years and have the rash(s) repaired before selling time.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
If you want it done right, stay away from mobile repair. They do a **** job. With a bad approach. You truly get what you pay for. Find a rim shop that actually does all the required steps for repair including paint and clearcoat. They are rim restorers. It might cost a bit more, but you truly cannot believe your eyes when the work is done... and it last. The mobile guys can hardly match and after a few weeks you'll notice break dust stuck within the paint... that becomes rough and redo. Don't waste your time with the mobile guys... unless these things don't bother you. BTW, my wife is a professional rim rasher... I think she does it for a living. Her Benz has had the wheels done three or four times. They are AMG rims so complex from a shape and multi-color paint. Those rims are done by a restoration shop, and I swear, the work is incredible and the rims look factory.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
236 Posts
Tire and rim insurance doesn't cover cosmetic damages I think.

2015 RRS v8
It should, at least if you buy it thru the dealership...my tire and rim insurance on both my wife BMW and my new RRS cover wheel damage, tire damage, the rims cracking, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
I don't know about Land Rover tire insurance, I don't think I've ever been offered it. But buyer beware. With BMW, they have wheel insurance, but it doesn't cover wheel rash. At it didn't when I used to have BMWs. So they're tricky... They'll replace a bent/cracked rim though. Mercedes on the other hand covers everything. When my wife bought her Merc, she told me she bought wheel insurance. The first thing that came to mind was she got caught up in the last minute upsell, the typical sales add-ons that you get offered at closing where they tack on all these crazy options before signing on the dotted line. I told her that they probably only replace bend/cracked rims and blown tires. But not rash. Well, I was wrong. After reading the coverage, and also noting above, Mercedes has covered every rash professionally, not the crap mobile stuff, but actual wheel restoration, and they also replaced tires a few times for slow leaks, which could have been simply plugged, with no questions asked.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
1,986 Posts
My LR dealership calls the professional wheel guys(I think they're the same mobile guys) when I had a curve rash on my old 2011. They were good in fixing it that when my 2011 RRS had a rear side collision, the driveshaft, shocks, control arms were bent and they called the wheel guys to fix the wheels. Yet they pretend to order a new oem LR wheel for $2000 per my insurance and the parts/service had a windfall profit of $1900!

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
My LR dealership calls the professional wheel guys(I think they're the same mobile guys) when I had a curve rash on my old 2011. They were good in fixing it that when my 2011 RRS had a rear side collision, the driveshaft, shocks, control arms were bent and they called the wheel guys to fix the wheels. Yet they pretend to order a new oem LR wheel for $2000 per my insurance and the parts/service had a windfall profit of $1900!

So they charged the insurance company for new rims but restored them instead?

When I bought my RRS, when I got home from driving it off the lot my right rear rim had a rash. I was kicking myself for not checking every inch of the car when I took delivery. I have only rashed a rim once in my entire lifetime, I'm super consciencous about it. It does happen sure, but I am very careful. Not one to just run into a parking curb over and over again like I see so often. Nothing worse then hearing that rim rash when you're walking down the sidewalk and someone is parking their car and running it up and down the curb. Eek.

Nonetheless, I called the dealership and explained the situation. They were very good about it and said, bring the truck in on Monday and we'll get it fixed for you. When I arrived, they told me it would be about 30-minutes. And the first thing that came to mind was they were doing a mobile job, rather than sending the truck to a rim shop who specializes in rim repair.

Anyway, I took a 30-minute walk and while coming back, I saw this guy with a can of spray paint and a small tool-box, and some tape, finishing up the rim. My first thought, was "why didn't I listen to my gut and ask more questions!?"... When they drove the truck up, the rim looked okay from a sight perspective. And I'm not one of those customers who whine... and drill into dealerships and their staff.

But, when I got home, I examined the wheel close up, and realized what a crappy job that guy did in the parking lot with his little mobile kit. The rash was puttied over, had sand paper grain, the paint didn't quite match but **** close, but no clear coat, so the paint felt very rough. I knew at that point the job wasn't right for a brand new truck and wrote them a letter asking about a better solution. I even offered to buy a NEW rim because I didn't want to live with the job that guy did. They were great and asked I bring the truck in again, took the truck to a rim shop, and at the end of the day, I got a rim that was like brand new... done correctly.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
1,986 Posts
So they charged the insurance company for new rims but restored them instead?
Yup! I was asking for the wheel and tire to use it as a spare for my newly bought 2013 RRS as replacement for the 2011 RRS and that wheel just disappeared. My friend salesman said that the parts department sent the newly ordered oem wheel back to the factory. Lots of goings on inside that dealership.

·
Registered
252 Posts
PLEASE elaborate on this wheel and tire insurance i have never heard of it. does it really cover rashes? nails? how much and how long?
I elected my wheel & tire ins/warranty when finalizing the deal upon vehicle pick up. If i recall it was $800 - $1200, some where in there. Covers any and all wheel and tire damage except for normal tire wear. Cosmetic, structural, off road or on road, it's covered. The term is for the life of the factory warranty. Being an off road vehicle, i figured this was a worth while investment.

Did the same thing with my E92 M3 and hitting a 4x4 piece of wood on the highway brought the plan into action. Smooth and seamless, replaced both tires and both right side wheels with new factory equipment. No cost to me. This was 2.5 years into owning the M3. Just called the number on the warranty card they gave me and they took care of the rest once i got my vehicle to my dealer service center.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts