1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,394 Posts
I had one of those cup holders for a few weeks but didn't like it. I've reverted to the console lid.

·
Registered
120 Posts
This is top of my mod list too. I've the older style lid without the fingers of the 2000 model deep dish one. It is totally useless and I spend a lot of time working from my car so a decent cupholder is important. I've looked at the one in the link before but I'm just afraid of spilling coffee in that area and I use that cubby all the time.

I've done a fair bit of research and the best i can come up with is the one out of a 05 ford galaxy/VW Sharan in place of the little wood panel between the door and the steering wheel. Its just a thought and I haven't checked if there is room behind the panel yet but if there is the cup holder face is the same size as the wood panel and I could probably stick the panel to the face of the holder so you wouldn't know it was there.

G

·
0 Posts
I have seen your link, spikemd . First link is for cup holder and other is for traveling mug right? I liked travelling mug. Do you have idea about this mug that it is used for cool or hot liquid ?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
5,394 Posts
SpudH said:
This is top of my mod list too. I've the older style lid without the fingers of the 2000 model deep dish one. It is totally useless and I spend a lot of time working from my car so a decent cupholder is important.
Interesting.

The older style (which I also have) is a perfect fit for the disposable coffee cups sold here. I also have a thermos cup that fits equally well.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,491 Posts
Same problem. You can't fit a 33 cl can of coke. I'm sure it's possible in the newer version.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I primarily use the insert version that goes in the cubbyhole. Somewhat annoying that they are a little small. Console lid on my 96 is useless.

If you are concerned about spilling over all of the switchgear, I'd suggest getting the kind that either clip between the door glass and the inner door panel, or get one that clips onto the door pocket down low. No harm done if a spill occurs down there. Typically I just have a water bottle with a lid that fits into the door pocket anyway.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Well, I got hold of a Galaxy Cupholder from a scrapyard today. Got 2 actually.

Checked underneath and there was loads of room so after dinner, out with the dremel and guess what, it fits a dream :dance:

all I have to do now is a little bracketry under the dash and fix the wood panel to the front of the cupholder and I'm sorted :dance:

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Ok, pretty near finished fitting the cup holder.

Its a bit rough around the edges (more like a bears arse I hear some of you say `) ) but then so am I and my Rangie is a work tool not a show piece so this is another piece of long term low grade stress removed from my life :dance: .

The hardest part was getting the Walnut to line up when closed and not get in the way of the cup when open. I got it reasonably ok when closed but I could have gotten it perfect except I rushed it at the end :doh: Its not bad though.

Attachments

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
5,394 Posts
996TURBO said:
Same problem. You can't fit a 33 cl can of coke. I'm sure it's possible in the newer version.
That's your problem - the cans are too small! They are 375ml here. :lol:

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
5,394 Posts
Chris X said:
That's pretty cool, you are right from the pic you wouldn't even know it was a cupholder.
That is neat! Well done.

Now what does a (Ford?) Galaxy look like in Ireland because it sure is different in the USA and Australia. ....and the last Galaxies sold here didn't have cup holders it was so long ago (mid-Seventies). `)

·
Registered
120 Posts
they're nothing near as cool as that. `)

They're a Ford badged people carrier exactly the same as the VW Sharan, Seat Alhambra but that cup holder is fitted to a lot of VAG cars, they just change the front trim slightly depending on the installation. Do a search on ebay for Audi A6 cupholder and loads come up from hong kong for $5 with $25 postage. But they're fitted to various mid 2000 years of Polo, Golf, A4, A6 as well. They charge silly money on ebay for Audi ones in the states but you'll get them out of the VW's handy enough. I got 2 for €10 here in Ireland (The Galharambra as two fitted side by side)

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
5,394 Posts
SpudH said:
they're nothing near as cool as that. `)

They're a Ford badged people carrier exactly the same as the VW Sharan, Seat Alhambra but that cup holder is fitted to a lot of VAG cars, they just change the front trim slightly depending on the installation. Do a search on ebay for Audi A6 cupholder and loads come up from hong kong for $5 with $25 postage. But they're fitted to various mid 2000 years of Polo, Golf, A4, A6 as well. They charge silly money on ebay for Audi ones in the states but you'll get them out of the VW's handy enough. I got 2 for €10 here in Ireland (The Galharambra as two fitted side by side)
Excellent. Thanks for that.

I just Googled Galaxy - Gawd, it's awful! :lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts