Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the other day I get a medium drink at the drive thru at Chik Fil A and put it in the cup holder. A minute later I pick it up to take a sip and the cup is empty!. Yep, I had a sharp tack sitting in the cup holder that had punctured the cup and it all run into the cup holder.
The liquid in the cup holder was maybe a 1/4 of what was originally in the cup. The question is where did the rest of it go? Is there a hole at the bottom of the cup holder? I removed the rubber inserts and I can't see an obvious drain but that would be extremely poor design to have a drain in the cup holder that goes into the body of the car! Aren't there a bunch of electronic bits under that cup holder? I'm a bit worried I may have damaged stuff under the cup holder. I'm tempted to take the whole thing apart and check ....

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
I;d be pulling things apart just so you don;t end up with sugar glue gumming things up and attracting little critters.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
I agree with Toad. Luckily you are in So CA and we don't have too many bugs, but you wouldn't want it to attract ants. I would also worry about any smells once our weather starts to get hot.

I bet you had nothing better to do this weekend than take apart your center console!! It is a beautiful day to be outside working on the car :D

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
I would also wonder who put the tack in cup holder instead of on the seat. ;-)

·
Registered
36 Posts
When you pull out the bottom of the cupholder there is a red latch which is a transmission release - if it tottaly fails you pull it and get it into neutral.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When you pull out the bottom of the cupholder there is a red latch which is a transmission release - if it tottaly fails you pull it and get it into neutral.
So how easy is it to pull the cupholder assembly apart? I have downloaded instructions on this somewhere but it will take me a couple of hours to find it. I had my assistant download all of topix when I got the one day membership so i could have it as reference but it's nearly impossible to find stuff that way.

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
So how easy is it to pull the cupholder assembly apart? I have downloaded instructions on this somewhere but it will take me a couple of hours to find it. I had my assistant download all of topix when I got the one day membership so i could have it as reference but it's nearly impossible to find stuff that way.
Email the docs to yourself to either Outlook or Gmail. They both index and search in PDFs very well.

·
Registered
2014 RRS
1,567 Posts
I had a similar situation a few weeks ago. I was taking a cup of lemonade out of the cupholder and fumbled a little. A half cup of lemonade disappeared down the base of the shifter where there is a ball like mechanism. Not much I could do but dab up the residual lemonaide. 2 weeks later, so far ok.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Here's my cup holder incident...

I think a month or two after picking up my RRS. I had a bottle of Mexican sugar cane coke in the cupholder, the bottle was loose and not snug at all. When I came to the first Stop sign, the bottle tilt just enough to hit the HVAC control area and drip some down to the cupholder cover. I clean up as much as I can. Everything was good for a month. Then the cupholder cover would stick (no doubt due to the sugar), and I would pull back/forth on the cover and it'll be back to normal again, till the next hot day when the heat probably melts the sugar again and it will stick. To this day, I still have this issue (nothing else, just sticky cover). Was thinking of pulling it apart eventually and clean it. So if anybody do have some easy instructions for taking it apart. We can all make it a group project. The 2015 RangeRover Sport Cupholder take-apart, coming to a local parking lot near you.

-ThinkMac-

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is absolutely idiotic design IMO. Drinks spill in cup holders, it shouldn't drain into the freaking car.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
This is absolutely idiotic design IMO. Drinks spill in cup holders, it shouldn't drain into the freaking car.
You shouldn't be spilling drinks in the car though. :think:

On another thought, when I was at dealer with vibration issue and they had the car up the lift I was pointing and asking about that area, the tech told me that the car was tripple sealed even the doors are apparently sealed from water intrusion. I asked about the shifter, how it connects to transmission and he said its all wireds underneath the joystick, but those go out via a rubber seal thats supposedly water tight. He reminded me the car is supposed to wade much deeper than seat level. So if this all true, the water should not leak out either, so your juices are still on the inside of the car. They'll just distribute all over the place and dry from the heat. I doubt anything is still wet a few days later besides the sugar residue. My point is even if you take the console apart, there will be nothing there. It probably went down hill to the foot wells.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
1,990 Posts
Mcdonalds or dunkin donuts for $1 drinks due to their sturdy plastic cups then the food from chic fil a. Two stops but no spills.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2014 RRS
1,567 Posts
What about just pulling a water bottle out of the fridge in the console? ;)
Speaking of fridge, does anyone ever use that thing as it was intended to be used? Mine is full of pens, receipts, notepad, a flashlight and other junk. Never had a drink in the thing.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Speaking of fridge, does anyone ever use that thing as it was intended to be used? Mine is full of pens, receipts, notepad, a flashlight and other junk. Never had a drink in the thing.
Now that the temps are heading back above freezing, mine will be stocked with water again. I usually keep 4 bottles in it. Didn't do me any good when they were frozen solid though. ;)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is actually why I avoided the package with this option. On my 2010 RRS I had the Lux package that came with the fridge, I NEVER used it because it didn't actually cool the drink. It maybe kept an already cold drink, cooler for longer, but didn't really function as a fridge. I like the empty compartment more, though I would have likes for it to be a bit more organized, it's just a giant well.

·
Registered
2014 RRS
1,567 Posts
This is actually why I avoided the package with this option. On my 2010 RRS I had the Lux package that came with the fridge, I NEVER used it because it didn't actually cool the drink. It maybe kept an already cold drink, cooler for longer, but didn't really function as a fridge. I like the empty compartment more, though I would have likes for it to be a bit more organized, it's just a giant well.
For those who don't have the fridge, what does the inside of the console look like? Does it have the same well but not refrigerated?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts