RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Quick question...the cruise control buttons on my steering wheel, left one feels distinctly dodgy, right one is fine. As it should be, diesel so the reset (right) isn't used. Is it possible to prise off these switches and swap them side for side? Don't want to attack it until I know they're not glued on!
Thanks,
Iain

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
So it feels "dodgy". Do you mean sticky like something got spilled on or in it? Do not "prise" them off, they are part of button assembly with ribbon contacts.
Directions for removal are in the steering section of RAVE under REPAIR/STEERING WHEEL.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dodgy as in somewhat loose, the return spring is weak, and it sometimes jams 'in'. Nothing spilled on it as far as I know! I'd like to swap the two switches, or better yet, swap the wiring somewhere in the circuit so the right hand button does the cruise control 'set' as I have no feeling in my left fingers, which makes operating the left button a bit 'hit and miss'...
I looked at RAVE, it's a bit vague on exactly this, but maybe all will become clear(er) when I take off the airbag.
Iain

·
Registered
107 Posts
What you call Reset actually means Resume. And it should function as follows on your diesel.
After the set speed has been canceled by pressing the brake pedal slightly the Resume button returns the vehicle to the old set speed if pressed down.

I myself don’t use it since it always kicks down the transmission and roars itself up to the old speed. Instead I glide up smoothly to my desired speed and press Set once again.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, looking at RAVE, cruise control tests 5f and 6f in section B5. page 1440 on mine...Looks like it might be possible to swap the sockets for the relay unit C241D on pins 5+6. 6 does the reset, so it's the right-hand switch, 5 the set. Anyone know if that's right?
Thanks,
Iain

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Kretslopp, didn't see your reply...
The reset/resume whatever button does nothing on mine...maybe I need to go in with a multimeter and run all the tests, see what's what.
I've been (obviously) doing as you do, accelerate up again and press 'set'. Probably continue with that, as it is smoother...still got a dodgy button, though!
Iain

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
It is not a dodgy button because there is no return spring. The button simply presses two layers of ribbon together that form, for lack of a better phrase, a bubble. If the layered contact is not returning the button you need to remove and inspect the ribbon assembly as described in the RAVE directions I posted earlier. Long and short your ribbon is most likely physically damaged. It's like the electrical/lighting contact layer on the back of the instrument cluster.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi RRToadHall, thanks for the info. I'll have a look at it soon, but I may just swap the steering wheel for another one off a scrapper when I get my hands on it. Sounds easier!
Iain

1 - 8 of 8 Posts