RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am rebuidling a GEMS 4.6, and got a new cam and bearings. The bearings are unfinished (the only thing I can find, STC1961), so the block must be line-bored, which is going to be an additional $350 or so on top of my current machine shop bill.

I called D&D a few weeks ago, and decided to go with a stock cam to be cheaper. I havent had a chance to call them back, but I am wondering if anyone got the Crower cam kit.

Did it come with new bearings, and if so, were they finished and pop in? Or do they have to be linebored like STC1961. Also, I already bought new lifters and a timing chain kit. Can I use these, or does the D&D kit come with something different? If I am spending this much, I might as well go a bit more with a better cam.

I read about a guy on discoweb that put a crower in his BOSCH 4.6 and he had to make a spacer. I also read that the Crower kit makes noisy lifters on start up. Any experience?

Thanks

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
I put in the crower from D&D on a customers truck last spring, I got pre-finished bearings from them, ordered separately-not included with the cam. The cam was drop-in (except for the bearings), no spacer needed, I believe they modified the cam before shipping it to me.

I don't recall noisy lifters on that one.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
shupack said:
I put in the crower from D&D on a customers truck last spring, I got pre-finished bearings from them, ordered separately-not included with the cam. The cam was drop-in (except for the bearings), no spacer needed, I believe they modified the cam before shipping it to me.

I don't recall noisy lifters on that one.

I just ordered the kit plus bearings. It wasnt much more than factory replacement parts. When I called D&D, they said the bearings were just dropped in so hopefully no line-boring, or whatever they need for the factory units.

Did you run into any problems with the bearings?

Any idea what kind of numbers the cam adds? I didnt even ask. I'm rebuilding a Callaway 4.6 with that cam, so hopefully it will be a good combination.

Thanks

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
the last bearing, if doing it with the engine in-place, is IMPOSSIBLE to get out/in without disturbing the cam plug, which leads to a significant leak, which is easier to pull the transmission to get to in the end....... may as well do the rear main seal while there.... other than that the bearings are fairly straightforward.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
shupack said:
the last bearing, if doing it with the engine in-place, is IMPOSSIBLE to get out/in without disturbing the cam plug, which leads to a significant leak, which is easier to pull the transmission to get to in the end....... may as well do the rear main seal while there.... other than that the bearings are fairly straightforward.
Excellent, I was worried some machining may be needed. I already pulled the motor out, and it is at a machine job getting checked over. Doing a full rebuild on it, so they should have no problem getting it in there. Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts