RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of nowhere I started hearing a creaking noise when going over small bumps at low speed. I kinda think maybe the lower control arm bushing, but read that's more of a knocking or clunking noise. This is definitely a creaking noise like an old spring or something.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Typically its the sway bar bushings.

That is by no mean definitive since this is a internet discussion and not in person checking the car but that is most common for creaking.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Out of nowhere I started hearing a creaking noise when going over small bumps at low speed. I kinda think maybe the lower control arm bushing, but read that's more of a knocking or clunking noise. This is definitely a creaking noise like an old spring or something.

Any ideas?
Mine has the same sort of creaking noise that you describe. Spoke to my Indy and he said 9/10 times it’s the sway bar bushings as the control arms would be causing a clunking noise. Not expensive to do depending on your setup, but for mine it’s around $380 because I have active roll control. It’s about half without.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here's a reach. How many miles does your RRS have. I had a creaking, but more of a poping sound over low speeds, also. I thought it was my suspension, becuase we had an older Honda with a similar sound. It was actually my seat, so I sprayed very little WD40 on the seat tracks and hinges and it went away.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
516 Posts
I have had multiple noises from the passenger side when cornering at high speeds or over accelerating. After much consideration I only engage in these behaviors when wife is not a passenger.
Seriously, the creak on mine was sway bar bushings.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys going to look into getting these replaced and see how it goes. It's def outside stuck my head out the window and you can hear it coming from the front.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Just to add a info, most likley noise issues are:

1. Creaking: sway bar bushings
2. Popping over bumps: sway bar end links or failed strut
3. Tapping when hitting brakes: Lower control arm bushings
4. Crunching when making tight turn(usually like a driveway) Lube steering stop contact on knuckle/control arm.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think I hear #4. Can you please elaborate on what needs to be done? What type of grease and where it needs to be applied? Thank you..

·
Registered
480 Posts
On my '08 RRS/SC and both LR3, sway bar bushings (light spray with silicon or rubber lube quiets the noise -- or, is a good test to ascertain if it is the bushings). If bushings, easy to replace.

On my 05 LR3, within the the first 15k miles, it was the right lower control arm bushing. Sounds duller than sway bar bushing creak that occurred later about 55k miles.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I think I hear #4. Can you please elaborate on what needs to be done? What type of grease and where it needs to be applied? Thank you..
If you look at the lower control arm there is a nub on it. That nub when the steering is turned all the way makes contact on a concave stop on the knuckle to limit/stop the wheel movement when making tight turns. When you turn tight and there is up and down movement like a driveway it is metal on metal contact, harmless but makes a noise. Just place a bit of bearing grease on the concave part and voila noise is gone.

·
Registered
141 Posts
2008 RRS with 105,000 miles. Runs, handles like a brand new vehicle. 1) Always dealer serviced by the book.
2) Relevant in this discussion, once a year I get underneath and spray/coat EVERY movable or rubber part I can find with a good rubber-safe lubricant, including the airbags. Truck is as quiet as brand new.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you look at the lower control arm there is a nub on it. That nub when the steering is turned all the way makes contact on a concave stop on the knuckle to limit/stop the wheel movement when making tight turns. When you turn tight and there is up and down movement like a driveway it is metal on metal contact, harmless but makes a noise. Just place a bit of bearing grease on the concave part and voila noise is gone.
Thank you. Will give this a try.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
2008 RRS with 105,000 miles. Runs, handles like a brand new vehicle. 1) Always dealer serviced by the book.
2) Relevant in this discussion, once a year I get underneath and spray/coat EVERY movable or rubber part I can find with a good rubber-safe lubricant, including the airbags. Truck is as quiet as brand new.
What do you use like lithium grease or HHS-K?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sorry I just don't recall the name brand. 'PB Blaster' comes to mind, but not sure.
Every year, I just check all cans of protectant that insulate from moisture, and I always look for a can that will list 'for use on ... rubber', among other metals, etc. Every year, the bottom of the truck will take the entire can, so I don't have a can to check for you.

I do think I have used a lithium grease spray before also!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Like, no! Use silicon spray or rubber lubricant.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I went and sprayed almost two cans of silicone lubricant, nothing this thing sounds terrible. Every little bump and turn it creaks. I think I might have to bring it in.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Shop is thinking control arm bushings but can't be certain. Anyone have any thoughts on that, I think that is normally a clunk sound not a creak sound

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ended up swapping sway bar bushing and creak is gone!! Thanks everyone.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts