RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIII / L322
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a 1998 RR HSE for a few years, and loved it.
Then I had a 2009 RRSC for a couple of years, and also loved it, but it was recently totaled in a bad wreck.

So I am shopping for a new rig, and have been looking at a nice 2012 RRSC with 78k miles that has spent it's life in the South. Am I absolutely masochistic to go into one given the timing chain issues? Is it a roll of the dice, or an inevitability? I believe the one I am looking at falls within the TSB VIN range.
I really love how these '10-12 SC's drive, so don't want to go backwards to another '09 and can't afford a '13.
Any help or words of wisdom are appreciated:)

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
Are you sure it falls in the VIN range for timing issues? The late 12's had the revised guide system. The TSB with VIN range has been posted a couple times. Take a pic of the vin sticker in the door and look it up. You may luck out and it'll be a nonissue. It'll make a dang good bargaining chip though.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIII / L322
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The VIN ends in CA38XXXX. From what I can tell, the plastic guides last through at least CA39XXXX.
Dealers seem unwilling to negotiate do to these known issues, because there ARE buyers for these cars at the prices listed. This dealer is asking $26.5k for the one I'm looking at.

·
Premium Member
1,309 Posts
It may be worth looking at some 2010 and 2011 trucks to see if their carfax lists the guides being replaced. I couldn’t find any in a spec that I’d like (brown on brown or black/blue on white) so I moved onto a perfect spec 08’ SC. I do agree that the 510HP is something else to drive and would love to have.

Sent from my iPhone 7 Plus using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
80 Posts
I’ve been wondering the same thing since purchasing our ‘12 in May of 2017. Just like you our VIN is at the end of the production runs with the plastic guides. I am going to roll over 68k this weekend and haven’t had any signs or odd noises from the engine yet.

Here’s to hoping it won’t need replacing for a long time! Definitely a true pleasure to drive

·
Registered
67 Posts
Go over it really good. I purchased my first one a 2010 Autobiography with 98K miles on it for $24,500 and didn't really notice it but there was a slight tick in the motor, i thought it was just sitting for awhile and a lifter was ticking well it progressed to be very bad and i'm in the process of changing the timing components now. Other than the standard issues with timing, water pump, and supercharger coupler these are monster motors, very smooth, and great riding vehicle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts