Range Rovers Forum banner

Crazy German vehicle tilting contraption

3K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  fiftywattplexi 
#1 ·
So I posted this over on the Range Rover board at Discoweb and all the vets put me down for using something that was stupid and supposedly unsafe. I was curious about the opinions over here, I know that many folks here are also registered at discoweb, this forum seems to be much more tolerant and open to differnt things.

For your consideration:

http://www.liqui-technik.com/kipp2_e.html

Rated at 3500 kgs, about 7700 lbs

----

A few weeks ago I replaced the fuel pump in my Range Rover and did get a lot of good info on how to do it from rangerovers.net and discoweb. It only cost me about $100 for pump, clamps and fuel injection line, way better than the almost $300-$600 that places are asking for the whole assembly not including labor.
A friend of mine that is a Jag enthusiast that helps me turn wrench on my Rovers occasionally got this contraption from germany for about $1200 and it is absolutely amazing. You hook it up the the vehicle and you can safely tilt it up to a 90 deg angle, they advise a bit less for larger trucks or SUVs. It uses any electric drill to turn the mechanism that does the lifting.

The reason I took my friend up on his offer to use this thing was because my air suspension is shot (but thats getting fixed tonite with replacment airsprings), its sitting on the bumpstops. So that made it difficult to pick the vehicle up by the frame high enough to have enough clearance to get under it and drop the tank easily. Otherwise I would have just jacked it up by the diffs and set it on jackstands. I was sketch about it at first too but its absolutley rock solid and built with sturdy, heavy galvanised tubing.

-----

See less See more
#5 ·
I'd like one of them for restoration work!

If one was worried about it collapsing I'm sure one could add more supports.

#6 ·
rogan said:
One thing to consider, if it fails while you're under there then you will die. For the same price you could get a compressor, air tools, a decent jack, axle stands, some ramps and a longer life expectancy.

Well, at 7700 lbs its about as strong as many jackstands, and the vehicle is less than 5k lbs so theres a lot of room left as far as safety capacity goes. I have ramps, they didn't pick the vehicle up high enough for me to comfortably get under it and work. You have to remember that my airsprings are shot so the frame is sitting very low to the ground to begin with.

I'd love to have a compressor and air goodies, but I dont have anywhere to store equipment like that, I live in a townhouse type dwelling with no garage. The one storage closet I have has a rolling tool chest in it that fills the entire thing, I'd kill for more space and a garage. :(

#7 ·
I dont understand. The jack that comes with the car some blocks of wood and jack stands will get the wheels off the ground and shocks fully extended, ie car higher than eas at full extention. I got the car high enough to remove the transmission and transfer case in my driveway with the stock jack.

Also that looks like its lifting with the axel so you still wont be able to remove and replace the bellows.

#9 ·
f250 said:
I dont understand. The jack that comes with the car some blocks of wood and jack stands will get the wheels off the ground and shocks fully extended, ie car higher than eas at full extention.
It all depends on what you are doning. Some folks are comfortable with wading mode and feeling trapped and captured at that level. My wading level is 1.2" or 1.3" higher thanks to a recal. I still feel cramped doing some things under my rig.

I'd love to be able to tilt my rig like this. It'd be killer for a good pressure wash and leak finding mission! :thumb:

#12 ·
rrtoadhall said:
Okay, lots of pics, a heck of a lot of typing and a bit of advert. You have neeto contraption. Apparently it works well. What am I missing here?

I was just trying to see what people thought of this wacky looking but effective and simple device. I inlcuded a link to the english verison of the mfgrs page because people seem to think this is some unsafe home-made ghetto contraption. And yes it looks like it couldnt hold the weaight of the vehicle but easily does.

...but yes I'll be picking it up the old fashioned way to do my airsprings, floor jack to lift it and jackstands on the frame.

#14 ·
rrtoadhall said:
When does the Queen Mary make it's next showing? I am bout 10 miles from you and wouldn't mind hooking up some time.
Sweet! I've actually been to Maltby, like once a long time ago. Anyways, yeah the HMS Queen Mary hasnt been roadworthy (seaworthy? :D ) for some time, but the airsprings are the last thing I have left to do to get her back on the road. Hopefully will be done tomorrow! Yay!

We should totally get together sometime.

#16 ·
Actually, if you have a good look at the original photos in the advert, once the vehicle is in the near vertical position it is fairly well balanced and the prospect of it toppling are minimal, assuming the structure is sound.

when the RRs are in normal use, and especially "in harm's way" :twisted: the lateral / twisting forces associated with the axle articulation that we are so proud of 8) are no doubt equal to or higher than the gradual force brought to bear when the vehicle is rotated in the frame. For rust proofing / detailed examination etc it's a smart idea. Emptying relevant fluids beforehand might enable all sorts of work to be done quite safely... Shame about the price though!

#17 ·
I wish I had a photo to prove it, but I think the Kenyans developed this technology. I remember seeing a Toyota Camray on its side like that but it was being held there by wood poles while the 'Jua Kali' mechanic attacked it with an oxy welder right on the side of the Trans African highway. :lol:

Turned out the car was my Deputy Headmasters' and he was always too tight to get it done properly... :doh:

#19 ·
kmagnuss said:
I'll have to pass. That thing has Darwin Award written all over it.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wouldnt mind having something like this to change a 02 sensor or something that doesnt require a lot a movement of the vehicle when working on it. But, I cant help but think that this is causing a lot of strain on those seals that leak in the wheels. out of 5 range rovers 2 of them had seal problems and those came when after market wheels were added. No longer wish to strain the suspension anymore that rover designed it to be strained....

#20 ·
You guys worry too much :roll: I have seen several variations of this lift design, none have ever caused damage or caused a leak. If a seal leaks after being imersed in fluid, then it was bad or going bad to begin with.
I like the hydraulic version that I saw a few years back.
These are mostly used by high end auto detailers and body shops.
Good design, sturdy and very portable. I will say one thing though, do not use on asphalt on a hot day or the rails can cause damage to the asphault :doh:

#21 ·
First time I heard of such a device was when a car magazine ( Car ? ) did a full photoshoot and review for a Nissan Skyline. Complete underbody shot to show underbody diffusers or something, and the journalist described how there was a jig that attached to the wheel studs and the car could be tilted 90 deg easily without much force.

This stuck in my mind, but until now have never seen one until today :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.