RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something I just recently thought about is after reading something (not sure if the article was recent or not) about how now that Jag has aquired LR that they are taking cost cutting measures with the brand and considering the posts about the faults of the 2010 build, do you think that the safety of the vehicle has gone down any? I mean obviously they're still on the road but you have to wonder.

·
Registered
236 Posts
The RR sport isn't listed on the Euro NCAP crash test ratings, but it's stable mate the LR3 (disco 3) and RR are four star vehicles while the Freelander 2 (LR2) gets a 5 star rating. Safety shouldn't be a concern, the **** thing is still built like a tank. Besides, safety is most directly the result of the driver.

·
Registered
382 Posts
CB08 said:
....considering the posts about the faults of the 2010 build,...
Okay, let's be fair, there are no "faults" with the 2010 build, or 2009, or 2008 or 2007 or 2006. While the issues owners post are valid, they don't necessarily reflect overall Brand quality. How boring would this forum be if it was nothing but guys like me saying how wonderful and problem free their vehicle is? You're always going to read more "bad" than good as those people are the most vocal and need a place to vent.

When was the last time you read in a major news outlet about Land Rover having build quality or recall issues? Consider this; Toyotoa, GM, Ford, VW, Chrysler MB & BMW collectively have recalled over 10 million vehicles just in the U.S. since 2004.

CB08 said:
do you think that the safety of the vehicle has gone down any? I mean obviously they're still on the road but you have to wonder.
The experts here should be able to clarify this but, lest you forget "trucks" (which is what the RRS is) have different safety standards than passenger vehicles in the US. Therefore by default could (in theory) be less safe than a Mini Cooper. Are you safer in a Land Rover hitting a Mini Cooper at 70mph? Probably. But are you safer hitting another Land Rover (or Lincoln Navigator) at 70mph???? I'd rather not be the one to test that!
;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
It still sorta turns my stomach to say it, but my 06 RRS and I were involved in the assisted suicide of an elk in northern Arizona last weekend. :crybaby2:

One millisecond she was in the center of I-17, the next millisecond she was right in front of my vehicle. I'm pretty sure I didn't even have time to hit the brakes before I hit her. Antifreeze trail was less than the length of the car, zero skid marks (on the freeway :shock: ), and I stopped right in the center of the lane. Elk was approximately 200ft down the road, also almost perfectly in the center of the lane.

DPS officer was telling me what a good job I did keeping the vehicle under control, how amazed he was so little damage was done. Got the same story from the flatbed driver too. Anyway, today I met with the guy at the repair center and he too says he's amazed how well constructed the vehicles are. That's not to say there isn't damage and the damage is quite costly.

But, my point is, I was doing 70mph and hit a 200lb elk dead center (you can see the butt dent on one side of the hood and the head on the other). Seat belt on, airbag deployed, and I got out of that vehicle without a single scratch or bruise. Even went to the gym the next day. Last accident I had, 16yrs ago, in a Toyota Corolla, left horrible seatbelt bruises, airbag cuts, a black eye, and my body sore for a week.

I'll be VERY happy to have my baby back all better in a couple weeks, but if I have to do it over again, I'd prefer to crash in the RRS. :clap:

I'll post pics when she's all better. Don't have the heart to shw any in her current condition.

·
Registered
382 Posts
brads_redrover said:
... my 06 RRS and I were involved in the assisted suicide of an elk in northern Arizona last weekend
Assisted Suicide - love it! LMAO!
:lol:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CA-SPORT said:
CB08 said:
....considering the posts about the faults of the 2010 build,...
Okay, let's be fair, there are no "faults" with the 2010 build, or 2009, or 2008 or 2007 or 2006. While the issues owners post are valid, they don't necessarily reflect overall Brand quality. How boring would this forum be if it was nothing but guys like me saying how wonderful and problem free their vehicle is? You're always going to read more "bad" than good as those people are the most vocal and need a place to vent.

When was the last time you read in a major news outlet about Land Rover having build quality or recall issues? Consider this; Toyotoa, GM, Ford, VW, Chrysler MB & BMW collectively have recalled over 10 million vehicles just in the U.S. since 2004.
Yeah, that's true. Crazy story brads_redrover, hope your rover's recovery is speedy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts