RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 99 p38 cranks but won't start. I've narrowed it down to possibly the CPS. I removed the shield and removed the two bolts that hold the sensor in place, but I can't even see where the sensor connects to the wiring harness. Can't see it from above or below, any tips on how to get this sensor off?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,762 Posts
It connects right at the sensor. Look at your new sensor... there is no wiring because the wiring connects at the sensor.

If you drop the sensor down you will see how the harness connects to the sensor.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
4,159 Posts
Some models (my Thor for example) has wiring off the sensor - and this connects up the side of the engine. You can *just* get to it by feel - I think if you remove the RHF wheel and wheel liner you get easier access - but it can be done with it in place.

Some GEMS, as RRH mentions has the connector at the sensor (From VA346794 To WA410481), though the parts catalogue shows the earlier GEMS as having a wire to a connector aswell (which I presume is up about the same location as the Thor one).

So I guess it really depends on what year your P38 is as to the exact setup.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some models (my Thor for example) has wiring off the sensor - and this connects up the side of the engine. You can *just* get to it by feel - I think if you remove the RHF wheel and wheel liner you get easier access - but it can be done with it in place.

Some GEMS, as RRH mentions has the connector at the sensor (From VA346794 To WA410481), though the parts catalogue shows the earlier GEMS as having a wire to a connector aswell (which I presume is up about the same location as the Thor one).

So I guess it really depends on what year your P38 is as to the exact setup.
Thanks, looks like I'll be taking the wheel and liner off.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,762 Posts
Oh dear lourde, I didn't even thing about his being a late 99. Apparently I better get in the office and have some coffee. :roll:

With Bosch it is totally by feel. Lay under the car & remove the sensor from the bell housing. Pinch the release tab on the car harness with thumb and forefinger while holding the sensor wiring with your palm and lower fingers and wiggle sensor wiring. If you have had leaks and everything is oily it is easier to clean up the old sensor first.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,159 Posts
Removing the wheel/liner will only give you better access to the location - as RRTH says, it is pretty much by feel, and a but of cursing aswell.

I know in this picture I have LPG stuff in the way, but in the red circle (back of the rocker cover) is roughly the area you are aiming to feel up into. With the wheel arch liner removed you might get a clear shot at reaching in over the exhaust heat shield to the connector location.

Above Small.jpg

·
Registered
343 Posts
@Marty, sorry for breaking in but you talk about removing the RHF wheel to gain access to the cranksensor, in that case you are making a detour, the sensor is on the leftside of the block, has about 3" of wiring and a connector and than binds together with the wires of the leftside knocksensor just below exhaust cylinders #3/5.
Tony.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,159 Posts
@Marty, sorry for breaking in but you talk about removing the RHF wheel to gain access to the cranksensor, in that case you are making a detour, the sensor is on the leftside of the block, has about 3" of wiring and a connector and than binds together with the wires of the leftside knocksensor just below exhaust cylinders #3/5.
Tony.
$^*@# TYPO..... It *should* have said LHF, but I would hope he's gone with that anyway. As mentioned, it won't actually show the connector, but hopefully it will give a different angle to reach in. I was considering pulling it out on mine to make it easier, but I'm a stubborn b**stard and didn't want to remove anything else and admit that a sneaky 2 pin connector had defeated me!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have replaced the Thor CPS on many cars. Engine needs to be cold!. I remove the CPS retaining nuts bolts from below with ride hight high. Lower the suspension if you can then from the top you can just access the plug just below the rear left rocker cover. The loom plug comes up but needs to be squeezed to clear the tang on the CPS plug. Once the loom Plug is off the cps plug slides out of its "C" retainer and the whole unit then removed from below
Its a bit hit and miss, I have done this in 10 mins and another time 2 hours. To refit, get the cable up from below then into the c retainer. Then fit the loom plug, then refit the CPS to Engine. Check before refitting shield.
Check your new cps, you can see the retaining tang on the plug and the groove that locates in the "C" retainer. I have never removed the wheel or liner to do this job.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I was able to replace the sensor from below, it was a tight fit but I was able to reach the connector. Did it in the rain ugh... didn't have to remove the wheel liner either.

Turned the key and she fired right up! Thanks guys

1 - 12 of 12 Posts