RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've had to replace the CPS on my HSE 4.6 Gems (no spark, no fuel and a very bent pin on the CPS!)- its the type with a flying lead and blue connector (Lucas SEB805)

I've checked the ring teeth through the access cover when fitting it just to be sure, and done a manual rotation of the flywheel so I'm sure it's positioned properly - the flywheel is nice and dry too, as is the engine, so hopefully the switch will be happy.

Two questions though before I finish the job off - would it be wise to fit a heat shield (Discovery II V8's have one fitted) - I would guess the gearbox acoustic cover would normally offer some protection, but this is long gone on my car, and the sensor is pretty close to the LHS cat?

Also, the electrical connector has a hole in it, indicating it should be bolted to the back of the LHS head somewhere(?) - can anyone tell me where - the Rave diagram isn't exactly clear.

Cheers,

·
Registered
760 Posts
As for a cover, hmmmm, the Thor engine cps is beneath a cover, re fixing the lead, pull it up the back of engine and have a feel about, there’s plenty of threads in the head if it’s that long, otherwise just cable tie ( zip tie ) it so the cable doesn’t sag

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As the jury is undecided on whether the crank position sensor should be shielded by the now missing gearbox acoustic cover or not, in the end, I decided to fit one, so in case it’s of any use to anyone else, here it is.

DSC_0380.jpg

The big black bracket was already on the bell housing, I guess Land Rover intended it for something, but I’ve adapted it for this little task by adding a fold at the front edge and drilling and tapping two M6 holes.

The shield itself is from mirror finish stainless.

It looks to offer a degree of protection to the CPS, but if nothing else, it was a good excuse to spend some wonderful workshop time with my son, who was entirely fascinated with turning dull stainless into a mirror :grin:

As a final note, I finally found a small fabricated bracket on the back of the LH head which has two holes in it, one to locate the peg on the connector, and one to screw the connector in - it took some finding, but even once located it was impossible to mount the connector for the CPS as room is so constricted - something to come back to when my fingers are twice as long and half as thick....

Thanks all for kind assistance on this one, job done :thumb:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts