1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to bother you.
This is a 2009 TDV6 from Panamá.

it came in with a sticky injector, after it failed various times on the road, so I went to pick it up
all 6 were serviced, one had to be replaced.

I have done the 20x bleeding.
there is diesel coming at the ramp.

But the engine will crank and crank and crank and won't start. Regarding alarm, there is a horn relay error , which I just learned came from a damaged horn. Soemhow I don't think this would immobilise the engine or does it?

The only engine related error I get is P0191-23, my IIDtool zaps it but it comes back after every attempt to start.
IID Tools says the fuel rail pressure signal stays too low.

I had only once another error P0001-13 which IID tool lists as unknown.

after bleeding 20 minutes (ignition on off etc 30secs each time)there seemed to be more presure at the bleed valve.

thank you in advance for any intelligent ideas

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
841 Posts
I think this is sort of the wrong forum for diesels . Others can provide the correct one. Sounds like the computer is seeing too low fuel pressure in the rail. Sounds like weak fuel pump, clogged filter, or pressure sensor not working correctly. These new diesels require quite high rail pressure, much higher than gasoline engines.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
( Sorry I thought this the same for tdv6 and tdv8, but being a Sport I don't want to put it in L322 )

The Iidtool tells me fuel pressure is zero. There is definitely fuel in the rail but injectors don't seem to open . VCV and PCV are working, I checked.

Enviado desde mi SM-A720F mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
174 Posts
My research into the P0001 code indicates a control solenoid issue. This could lead to a too low fuel pressure, preventing the engine from starting. I would pursue the P0001 first, as the other code may be set by the resulting low fuel pressure. Ray

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. There is only P0001-13 left now
You are right, in the tdv8 it is a VCV error.
But it is not clear whether this is the case in the TDV6.
So I measured the resistance and it is 3.5Ω, which is in the tolerance.
Pretty lost now, VCV and PCV get up to 46% and 94% respecticlywhen I try to start. But still no pressure.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Annette, the P0001 codes are generic when it comes to usage. That means that most if not all manufacturers use this code for fuel delivery issues. I suspect that, in your case, the solenoid is either stuck open or being signalled to stay open, causing almost all of the delivered fuel to be returned back to the tank. This code is used by almost all vehicle manufacturers, and it indicates issues with fuel delivery. If you can reach the solenoid, since you indicated that you checked the resistance, you might listen to it while trying to start the engine. If it does not cycle, like it is opening and closing, that might be your issue. I hesitate to recommend your replacing it until you can test it defective. Let's start with what I recommended, and go from there. Let me know... Ray

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dear Arby, the injectors are never opening till you have 150 bar... Well that is what the book says.

Dear Ray, good point.. we connected it to 12 V to see what it does..but impossible to say that it is moving inside. resistance and feedback are ok.

Not sure about the high pressure valve. Would you know by any chance what the resistance should be? From pin 1 to the other two

Later we blocked the spill and tried it again, it almost started only Rafa was a bit nthusiastic encouraging it with petrol. In short we had to abandon it for a while.

In the meantime, we found a totally awful inlet full of EGR Yuck.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Annette, Typically a component fails either open or shorted, blowing fuses. I will do some research and get back to you. Just a heads up: it is unwise to use petrol with a diesel, due to the high compression. The resulting detonation could crack a head or block. You might get away with ether or starting fluid, but I have more success with fluids like WD40. This compound is less likely to explode, the the compression will still ignite it. I'll get back to you. Ray

·
Registered
713 Posts
( Sorry I thought this the same for tdv6 and tdv8, but being a Sport I don't want to put it in L322 )
This site is US/Canada based with mainly residents of those countries as members. These countries only have petrol engined L320s and there are no diesels so little expertise as far as the TDV6 and TDV8 is concerned.

I have a TDV6 but I cannot help you with your question as I have not had these issues, however I think you are lucky in being able to get your injectors serviced as they are notorious in breaking off in the head when being serviced requiring to head to be removed to fix.

For TDV6/8 advice I suggest you try the UK RRS forum http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/ or the UK Discovery 3 Forum https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/

On these forums the diesels are quite common and the petrol engines less - the opposite to this one.

Garry

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Gary, this is the third one in 3 months whose injectors needed servicing. Yes, one of the was a pig to get out but it worked in the end with an improvised tool. They are not meant to be fastened tight, only 10 Nm but folks seem to ignore this.

I can assure you that here in Central America diesel and petrol are about 60/40, how is it in Australia?
And yes I did ask in the other forum (disco 3) .
This is by far the best source for Range Rover information and I am always glad to help with my knowledge if I can. Like yourself, there are folks from all over the world here.

·
Registered
841 Posts
"Dear Arby, the injectors are never opening till you have 150 bar... Well that is what the book says."

Wondered about that when I posted.

Well that kind of pinpoints the problem as either bad pressure sensor or actually not enough pressure in the rail. Fuel pump, filter, pressure regulator or something in that vain.
Is it not possible to do a pressure test at the rail, and before the rail?

·
Registered
713 Posts
This is by far the best source for Range Rover information and I am always glad to help with my knowledge if I can. Like yourself, there are folks from all over the world here.
Yes I agree this is a good site for all aspects on the RRS except for the diesel engine however with time that will change as more international members with diesels join.

We have all the engine types but I guess 90% are diesels. You could also try our local Aust Landrover Forum which is actually probably the largest single LR Forum in the world - www.aulro.com

Good luck with your problem. Just as an aside - have you checked the obvious - Fuel lift pump in the tank is working, the fuel filter is good, have you taken the pressure of the fuel rail at the Schroeder valve (to ensure the high pressure injection pump is delivering) then if all those are OK - then it is time to look at the injectors.

To be honest most fuel related problems are related to a failing High Pressure Injection Pump rather than anything else. I may have missed it but I assume you have a 2.7 TDV6 and not a 3.0 SDV6 - if so there were problems with the high pressure injection pump and indeed there was a recall on these (mine was replaced) but if there was an issue you would get codes to indicate this.

Rereading the posts, you said "IID Tools says the fuel rail pressure signal stays too low." While you may have an injector issue, this indicates you have an issue with the Injection Pump so I would investigate this aspect further - I bet if you get your pressure up you will not have an injector problem.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update

We attempted to start another 55 times.
Pressure at the bleed valve seems to have decreased a bit.

Errors are now p0001-13, p0191, both about 60% alternating, sometimes both
About 10% of starting attempts I also get p0080-13, pressure control valve

In the life values you can see the typical results and the graph of VCV and PCV while attempting to start.

Any ideas welcome

·
Registered
1 Posts
You migth want to talk on the phone with Hosman García, he is in Boquete, Panamá. When ever I have a problem with my RR HSE he is the one I call.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts