RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another technical question:
The crankcase gases are routed back into the intake system. I disconnected this pipe from the air filter housing because I thought this way the engine doesn't get hot gases and doesn't overheat so fast. Does this pose a problem to the PCV valve ( is there a vacuum system that suffers from disconnection of the pipe ?).
Regards,
Christian

·
Registered
346 Posts
Christian: Post a picture of what you are doing. You will get a response.

Where in Argentina are you located?

·
Administrator
27,820 Posts
Christian, If you are having overheating issues, the PVC system would have nothing to do with it. The "hot gasses" are not all that hot to impact the engines operating temp. Return the PVC system back to how it was designed, inspect all the hoses, make sure the oil separator is not clogged. The hoses have a habit of degrading and collapsing.

Now for your overheating... When was the cooling system last serviced? This is crucial not only for the engine, but your transmission fluid is cooled by the lower few rows of the radiator. If your radiator is not in tip top condition you can over heat your engine as well a burn out your transmission.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do get oil squeezing out of the oil filter housing at cold start so pretty sure PCV or the PCV hoses are out of order.

I had overheating issues and attempted the disconnect to alleviate temporarily. Did read your comment above somewhere else a few months ago and thanks to that, changed everything:
- radiator (gunked up)
- transmission oil cooler (completely gunked up)
- transmission oil thermostat
- temperature sensors tranny oil & radiator

Now: tranny oil was not changed after the work. Is there a chance it may have degraded during high temperature operation ?

Little side anecdote to share: Tranny had a rebuild a few months before I bought the little beauty 18 months and 20k miles ago), the guy had the same problem and the grease monkeys never bothered to tell him it may have to do with gunked up radiator or tranny oil cooler. Instead they sold him a tranny rebuild for 2750 £ sterling (the admiration of the world in days gone past).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Christian: Post a picture of what you are doing. You will get a response.

Where in Argentina are you located?
Currently in Salta Province up north, on the foot of the Andes mountains.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts