RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well 10 months in and my windshield is splintering in multiple directions from what appears to be a rock hitting up in the area of the rear view mirror. Would you recommend having the dealer replace the glass or am I okay to go with a third party such as safelite?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
208 Posts
Do you have a HUD, traffic sign recognition etc.?

If yes, then you will need to take it to the dealer for programming. You can get the OEM windshield replaced anywhere you want.

·
Registered
2015 Range Rover Sport HSE, 2004 Porsche Carerra 4S
77 Posts
I had my windshield replaced by safelite and it is a factory range rover windshield - you cant even tell the difference and they came to my home, took about an hour tops. They will call and ask which features you have (HUD,Traffic sign recognition, heated windshield, solar attenuating, etc.)

You don't need to go to the dealer for programming, it is literally a piece of glass....albeit a very expensive one

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
55 Posts
Most dealers have a third party do the actual glass repair. There is a possiblity that the replacement glass will cause your HUD and/or camera to need recalibration. I found it easier to just have it completed at the dealership just in case the recalibration was needed. The insurance did not care but they did push safelite. Also be certain it is OEM glass. Land Rover will not certify a vehicle without OEM glass at trade in.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Same experience as "amm" with Safelight. I have all the bells and whistles (HUD, sign recog, heated, etc) and they did a great job. It was like $900. No dealer programming necessary.

I had my windshield replaced by safelite and it is a factory range rover windshield - you cant even tell the difference and they came to my home, took about an hour tops. They will call and ask which features you have (HUD,Traffic sign recognition, heated windshield, solar attenuating, etc.)

You don't need to go to the dealer for programming, it is literally a piece of glass....albeit a very expensive one

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi have the same problem. Twice Safelite have been out with the wrong glass. Third time lucky this Friday. Just make sure you confirm with them that they have OEM glass and they have double-checked your VIN for the complete spec.

·
Registered
2014 RRS
1,429 Posts
Just to add to this thread. Last year a rock hit my windshield and it started a 1" long crack. I called a local mobile windshield repair guy. He drilled into the outer glass layer and filled it with resin. The area practically disappeared and I didn't have to hassle with replacing the original windshield. The insurance company gladly picked up the tab. If you catch it early enough and the damage isn't great, sometimes it can be repaired.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
208 Posts
Just to add to this thread. Last year a rock hit my windshield and it started a 1" long crack. I called a local mobile windshield repair guy. He drilled into the outer glass layer and filled it with resin. The area practically disappeared and I didn't have to hassle with replacing the original windshield. The insurance company gladly picked up the tab. If you catch it early enough and the damage isn't great, sometimes it can be repaired.
The heated windshield may not work if the element is damaged while drilling.

·
Registered
2014 RRS
1,429 Posts
I have the heated windshield. The technician was careful drilling only into the outside glass part of the windshield without going into the wired layer. He said he had done a number of heated windshields in the past. Apparently he had because my elements still work.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I assume you have insurance? If call the insurance company find a reputable third party that is not the dealer nor Safelite. Call the dealer to get the dealer price for the OEM glass. Get the third party to help you say third-party glass isn't the same as original glass and it detracts from the value of your vehicle.

I say this because most insurance will not cover dealer installs (since they don't try to use third party glass) and you might be paying a difference even if you have $0 deductible, and Safelite will not really help you try to get the much more expensive glass from the dealer.

·
Registered
2015 Range Rover Sport HSE, 2004 Porsche Carerra 4S
77 Posts
Safelite uses Range Rover OEM branded factory glass. I am not even sure if there is a third party aftermarket for these things.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts