RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a small chip in my windscreen from a rock popping up and clipping me on the highway. I have a climate package that includes heat coils in the windscreen. Can I have it repaired like a normal windscreen with an epoxy filler?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
Yes you can have it chip repaired just like any other windscreen.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
18 Posts
although I would be careful cause the windscreen tech here has mentioned to me if they use a a bit to clean the chip edges and go to far down he has shorted out the grid before leaving a useless climate defrost on windscreen

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yeah, I believe how deep the chip is can be the final determination. I got a chip from a rock that wasn't very big but must have gone deep. It has been filled but there is a small strip about half an inch that runs up vertically exactly where the chip was that doesn't work work when using the heated windshield. It's a very small strip, so it doesn't bother me that much and living in NC I don't have to use it that often. But I'd just make sure whenever you get it filled to make sure the technician that does it, doesn't dig out the chip too much, just to be on the safe side.

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
It is impossible to short the grid with a glass bit. First off a tech would have to have zero experience, pretty much no knowledge, drill through the lamination AND just happen to hit one of the grid wires. Even then only one wire out of the dozens on that half of the screen would be damaged. The grid is actually two grids, drivers side and passenger side. One broken wire will not short out a section. In fact it won't short out anything, it will simply be a dead line that works in parallel with all of the others, not in series.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
It is impossible to short the grid with a glass bit. First off a tech would have to have zero experience, pretty much no knowledge, drill through the lamination AND just happen to hit one of the grid wires. Even then only one wire out of the dozens on that half of the screen would be damaged. The grid is actually two grids, drivers side and passenger side. One broken wire will not short out a section. In fact it won't short out anything, it will simply be a dead line that works in parallel with all of the others, not in series.
Yeah what he said

1 - 7 of 7 Posts