RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I set about replacing the blend motors on my '97 P38, while also taking the opportunity to replace a warped dash. Everything was going great until I arrived at the left side distribution flap lever and found the mechanism cracked where the blend motor engages the gear to move the flap. Attempts at applying epoxy have no gone well. Can that flap lever be replaced or is there another repair option aside from replacing the heater box?

Attachments

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,159 Posts
Yes, they 'clip' in to the end of the flaps.

Sometimes require a bit of a levering with a flat head screwdriver to disengage the clip and get it out. If you have a spare heater box, pop it off there first and then swap over on the one in the vehicle. I have them off all the time when I'm refurbing the heater boxes.

·
Registered
107 Posts
As marty said. The lever is attached on a square rod and there is a plastic clip on one of the sides and it should be possible on location with a small screwdriver to disengage the locking tab.
But you have removed the dash right?
It is very easy to just remove the whole heater box and disassemble it and check that all flaps move ok and apply fresh lubricant while doing it. Totally worth it.
I did that 2 months ago. Also consider replacing the heater core to the audi one. You can check out my thread about it.

http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/7-range-rover-mark-ii-p38/300041-1999-2-5dse-hevac-blows-cold-air-when-turning-sharp-post2110921.html#post2110921

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That’s right, i have removed the dash, taking the opportunity to replace it while changing the blend motors as it was warped and cracked. Discovering that cracked lever then necessitated swapping out the heater box in an unexpected twist. I tore apart the old box and discovered how the lever attaches to the flap. In theory it can be removed with a small screwdriver with the box still in the car, but has anyone actually done it and without damaging anything further? It’s a rather tight fit.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,159 Posts
I haven't done it in the vehicle, no - as I generally have the heater boxed on the bench when I'm overhauling them.

That being said... If the blend motor and distribution motor are removed from the RHS, and the top of the dash is out, then there shouldn't be any issue getting the old one out whilst it is still in the vehicle. I generally use a fairly large flat bladed screwdriver, to give a bigger area that I'm levering with, and the generally pop straight off.

With the blend motor off, you should be able to rotate the remains of the lever around enough to make it possible to get a screwdriver in there and pop it off.

Hope this helps, and you can manage to do it without taking it all apart!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts