RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
27,819 Posts
The dealers only handle the initial factory warranty. When that expires, only a third party warranty company will cover a "CPO" warranty. There is no set time or mileage on any "CPO". I am not sure where you came up with all "CPOs" are 7 year / 100K miles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I noticed this as well, a lot of dealers posted 5yr/100k or 6yr/100k on their websites. I'm unsure why. I was actually going to start a thread on this. Thank you for posting!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is actually kinda surprising. I've never heard of any other company basically outsourcing their CPO warranty. Certainly the Land Rover site itself doesn't make it sound like thats the case...not exactly shady but still a little uncool.

·
Registered
2019 Range Rover Sport SCV8 ATB (L494)
183 Posts
The dealers only handle the initial factory warranty. When that expires, only a third party warranty company will cover a "CPO" warranty. There is no set time or mileage on any "CPO". I am not sure where you came up with all "CPOs" are 7 year / 100K miles.
I'm honestly not trying to be difficult or disrespectful here, but you keep posting this, so I asked this question specifically at the dealership when we bought my wife's 2017 RR SCV8 CPO a few weeks ago.

The CPO warranty description and booklet only mentions JLR North America LLC and not any third-party company. None of my wife's CPO documents mentions any 3rd party.

The description of the program here: (https://www.landroverusa.com/certified-pre-owned/index.html) only mentions JLR North America LLC and not any third-party company.

The CPO brochure here: (https://www.landroverusa.com/Images/LRNA_CPO_ConsBro_v4_tcm293-185428.pdf) only mentions JLR NA LLC and no other company.

If there's a third-party company actually providing the CPO warranty, JLR NA is doing a heck of a job of hiding that fact in all of their materials, and probably committing a material misrepresentation in their marketing and program materials that would open them up to litigation.

·
Registered
183 Posts
To the OP's original question, I found the CPO warranty length to be confusing as well when we bought my wife's car. They are advertised as up to 7 yrs / 100k miles, and it's a sliding scale based on the model year. The 7 years is calculated from the original in-service date of the car, so you'll never get 7 full years on any CPO vehicle. In our case we bought a 2017 RR SCV8. We were told that the CPO warranty for that car was 5 yrs/100k miles from the original in-service date in 2017, which meant that the vehicle was covered under CPO until 2022. We ultimately extended it for a year to 2023, when we'd likely hit the mileage number anyway.

·
Administrator
27,819 Posts
Yes, the dealer sells the CPO warranty. That's where it ends. JLR does not manage, nor do they administrate the CPO warranty.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yes, the dealer sells the CPO warranty. That's where it ends. JLR does not manage, nor do they administrate the CPO warranty.
The JLR NA website and all of the CPO materials say otherwise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I still don't understand. My understanding has always been 7 years from in service date. I totally understand that the second owner won't get 7 years but if the in-service was 1/2016 for example, why wouldn't it go to 1/2023?
I have always thought it was odd that they say "up to 7 years" but I figured that was because you could hit 100k miles first.
And I also agree, if this is a third party warranty they have pretty much used people's assumption of what a CPO stands for against them if not flat out lied.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Screenshot from the Land Rover CPO warranty booklet:

IMG_20190227_195742 (2).jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
I guess I still don't understand. My understanding has always been 7 years from in service date. I totally understand that the second owner won't get 7 years but if the in-service was 1/2016 for example, why wouldn't it go to 1/2023?
I have always thought it was odd that they say "up to 7 years" but I figured that was because you could hit 100k miles first.
And I also agree, if this is a third party warranty they have pretty much used people's assumption of what a CPO stands for against them if not flat out lied.
I agree with this, does anyone know why this isn't the case?

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIV / L405
618 Posts
I guess that I am confused, as well. This document appears to say two different things: the first paragraph speaks of all Land Rover warranties. The second two paragraphs speak of the Land Rover Approved CPO limited warranty. I read this as two different things. This suggests to me that the CPO may not be administered through LR and would be through a contracted third party.

But I am not an attorney.

Steve

·
Registered
183 Posts
I guess that I am confused, as well. This document appears to say two different things: the first paragraph speaks of all Land Rover warranties. The second two paragraphs speak of the Land Rover Approved CPO limited warranty. I read this as two different things. This suggests to me that the CPO may not be administered through LR and would be through a contracted third party.

But I am not an attorney.

Steve
Neither am I, but "all Land Rover warranties" is pretty definitive, and the paragraph below is a description of one of those warranties. There is no third-party mentioned anywhere in any materials or warranties that discuss the CPO program. And the "Certified Approved pre-owned" program is a JLR NA LLC program, not a dealer-sold one.

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
85 Posts
The CPO warranty is from JLR and not a 3rd party. The reason a CPU warranty is not called a factory warranty extension is the coverage is different. I am not sure of the exact details, but usually things like unusual wind noise, door seals and miscellaneous rattles are not covered by a CPO warranty.

The thing that is really interesting with JLR CPO warranty is the lack of fixed time on it:

jlr-cpo-term.jpg

·
Registered
183 Posts
The CPO warranty is from JLR and not a 3rd party. The reason a CPU warranty is not called a factory warranty extension is the coverage is different. I am not sure of the exact details, but usually things like unusual wind noise, door seals and miscellaneous rattles are not covered by a CPO warranty.

The thing that is really interesting with JLR CPO warranty is the lack of fixed time on it:

View attachment 270886
CPO is an exclusionary warranty. There are specific items and categories of item excluded from coverage. Too many to list in this post.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
5 Posts
The few dealers I talked to while shopping around were doing only the 6yr 100k certified warranty from in original sold date, but could make it 7 for an additional cost. Some said $1400 additional for HSE and $1800 for SC and some said $1700 for HSE so not sure what their true cost is to make it the full 7.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Back in December, I was shopping around for a 15 or 16 SVR. NO dealer would go past 6 years from the in service date, regardless of additional cost. After the original warranty ended, it ended up being approximately $1800 per year. I have decided to wait to see if I can catch a better deal.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts