RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone taken their LR or any other non-lifted vehicle through this trail? What was your experience?

I have a 4x4 Ranger, which has about the same ground clearance as the Sport in off-road mode, I am currently planning on taking through this trail. On a couple different websites I have read about lifted Jeeps and Suzukis making it through, but have yet to read anything regarding other vehicles. My main concerns are the rock / boulder sections (regarding clearances needed) and the sand sections, since I am running narrow, ~31" diameter duelers.

Thanks

Perry

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Perry, our local Land Rover club, Southern California Land Rover, just ran that trail with 12 LR vehicles of all ages about 10 days ago (I didn't make that outing, been in Anza a few times with my RRS but never on that particular trail.) I know they had quite a few stock or near-stock LR3s in the group, and despite the added challenge of a slippery surface from the recent rainstorms everyone came out of South Coyote Canyon smelling like a rose, except for a DII that apparently stalled in the water and had to be yanked out... But by the time you go, everything should be back to So.Cal. standards anyway, e.g. bone dry... :wink: You can log onto our forum and ask participants for a second opinion, but it sounds to me like your vehicle should be more than adequate for that trail. Web site: www.sclr.org and click on Roverboard for the Anza Borrego trip report. Personally, whenever "rock gardens" are involved, I always make sure to go with someone I trust if things get hairy and I need spotting. Have fun and, if you go, take plenty of pictures!

·
Registered
217 Posts
If you have any problems on the trail just wait for a Range Rover to come along and pull you out. :lol: 8-0= :dance:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply Umbertob. I need to join your club when I get some time! I have been to the site a few times and you folks are always up to something good. Hell, one of your group journeys inspired my own journey through some of Mojave National Preserve. Anyway, I checked out the pictures from the trip and it looks like it was a fun trail! That steep descent and narrow pass between the boulders made me nervous just looking at the photos. Yeah I definitely hear you on the spotting. I have been trying to train my wife but when we've gone in the Rover she gets panicky :shock: I'll admit though she has gotten better. I plan on going with my dad, though, but I think his vehicle maybe a little too wide to make it through that pass. Hmmm.

Thanks again.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
I'm signed up for the Death Valley geology tour at the end of April, you should join us with your RRS. If you are into geology (or have never been to DV before), that trip should be a gem, how many times do you get a Dept of Interior Senior Geologist as field guide in a place like Death Valley, for 3 days, free of charge?!? :D Plus, I always feel lonely on these club trips, usually I'm the only Sport there... Tons of LR3s and even new Range Rovers, but too few RRS. Hope to meet you there!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
big-t said:
If you have any problems on the trail just wait for a Range Rover to come along and pull you out. :lol: 8-0= :dance:
I'll be sure and take plenty of pictures :lol:

Umbertob: Unfortunately I won't be able to make it, my wife is due around that time. I would love to come out and represent the RRS though. I will have to check up the board more often to find out about future excursions.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just ran that trail with SCLR - no issues at all.

Mine is a Range Rover MkIII lifted 2 inches with 32's.

But I am betting a stock RR would be no issue on that trail.

The water crossing was high, but just bad luck for the D2. No issues otherwise.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the reply!

Do you know about how wide the pass between the boulders is? I looked at pictures on the SCLR website from a 2003 trip and it was hard to tell. It looked like the Discoveries had room to spare at about 70", but the white classic that went through made it look very tight.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts