RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the heads off after breaking 3 sockets, but I can't find any trace of a leak on the head, block or gasket, do external coolant leaks usually leave traces behind. Wondering if the leaks were just valve cover for oil and lower intake for coolant.

Has anybody ever head of a craked head in a 4.0 or 4.6 for a realable source?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Could be wrong but curious if your rangie was using any oil. What mileage has she done? Any scores in cylinder walls or carbon buildup on the underside of the darker intake valves. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
It looks like you can see the sheen of one of the compression rings in your first shot of the block so it makes me wonder if you have a worn block. If so you would also have lower compression and lower power. If the rod or main bearings are worn then more oil is shot at the bores and it is therefore harder for the oil control rings to control getting past and into the combustion area. I guess it could also be coming from the intake side thru crankcase ventilation system. You could mike the bores to check for wear/out of round. Scores in the bores would be visible . A slim possibility is the gaps in the oil c ontrol ring aligning and therefore let oil thru. Also excessive wear in the valve guides could promote oil consumption. Hopefully something obvious will show up that is definitive. If I have to pull the heads I'll remember to use an impact socket. Hope there is space and that your sockets have a lifetime warranty. :eek:

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,115 Posts
Did the heads on my GEMS 4.0 at about 135K. Just looked at some of my photo's of the project and mine looked worse than yours. I ended up putting in new uprated injectors and matching the intake ports, rebuilt the rockers, water pump, replaced the CPS, fuel pressure regulator, and I got a set of remanned heads (complete with carbon break cut valves, problem on earlier engines). I didn't do anything with the lifters (didn't even bother cleaning the gallery). I dropped the sump pan and found it very clean, thus my reasoning for not messing with the oil side. Make sure you remove the caterpillar looking thingy (oil seperator) in the rocker cover breather tube nipple and clear it out good. That can cause oil consumption problems if it becomes clogged.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dissambled the heads relatively pain free other than a few broken sockets and had to cut the secondary air tubes (already repaired,) got the heads back from the shop and started assembling, everything was going smooth until the last exhaust manifold bolt snapped off. AHHHHHHHHHH, mind you this was after installing the lower intake including new gasket and seals, so my question is do I need a valley gasket and seals and exhaust manifold gasket? Already ordered the head gasket and head bolts (for one side).

·
Legacy Vendor
341 Posts
Yes. Do replace any gasket or ring that you touch... not worth the grief of having to do them again if/when you find that they are leaking after you put it all back together. While you have it apart, it is worth replacing all bolts (including rocker/valve cover bolts). Don't ask how I know... it is a painful story :D
Cheers, Paul.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts