RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my white 02 stored in the shed in Hawaii for the last 4 years. (warm and humid)
Last November, I drove it quite a bit, but mostly 1/4 mile trips (moving stuff)
When I then took it out on the road to town, I got SES light flashing. "Catalyst damaging misfire" according to the Nano.
Parked it back in the shed....It was running very poorly by then, and had a look at the codes. Said MAF was putting out a low signal.
Before my next trip over to ship it to the West Coast, I ordered a new "Genuine Bosch OEM" maf from an Amazon seller. Only $105 bucks.....
When it got here , I did not feel right about it, even though it was in a brightly printed Bosch box and physically looked identical in all ways to the one in the 02 Borrego.
To test it before flying to Hawaii to install it, I swapped it into the Borrego (which was running great, with a known good Maf.)
It immediately threw a SES light, and had a "MAF Low signal" fault.
Put back the old one and reset fault. All good. Did this twice to confirm.
I started reading up on counterfeit parts, and it seems the Chinese are getting pretty bold. Even putting "Bosch" parts in their booth at an international trade show.
Returned the fake one and ordered one for 160 bucks from an Amazon site that had a good review from a P-38 owner.
This came in an entirely different box (blue) and had an holographic sticker sealing the box. This is one of Bosch's anti counterfeiting schemes.
There is a number you can enter at a Bosch website to confirm it is a genuine part.
This Maf worked fine on both my 02's.
So, if the price seems way too good to be true, it isn't. Buyer beware.
Do the research first, or just pony up the full retail price and buy from a reputable source.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Good to know Bolt. Noted. I’ve been keen on keeping a list of OEM parts not to skimp on. I’ll add to it. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
with said electronics, I prefer to order from known suppliers such as rovers north, atlantic british or local european specialty parts suppliers.
rather pay for quality than spend time and extra moneys shipping back non conforming parts.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Normally I would agree totally, however, if you are diligent, in this case I saved about 100 bucks on a genuine part.
I find the regular dealers to be mostly fair, but in things like this Maf, they are marking up 200%. That is gouging, and I do not like to be gouged.
With experience in electronics manufacturing, I know pretty closely just what this thing costs to build. Bosch probably makes a fair profit as well, but double the price for the same genuine part?
That said, I just got a new fuse box and hose set from AB. Disappointed that some of the hoses are now Chinese for the same relatively high price......

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
have you ever tried procuring parts from uk sources? depending on needs, urgency and availability I order from rimmer bros, p38 spares, lr direct, bearmac and a few others. normally you will be given a choice or brand names and prices, allmakes 4x4, URO, britpart, lr, genuine, etc.
you pic your poison based on pricing, shipping and customs is nominal and normally parts arrive with in a few days at my doorstep.
saves a ton of money when comparing to procuring same parts in the US. some US mark up are as high as 300%.

·
Registered
768 Posts
i totally agree that you have to be careful nowadays, what is there that hasn’t been copied these days, people trying to scam us at every turn, today alone I’ve got the fbi about to arrest me for not giving my details re my tax return, ( great as I live in the UK ) , bmw lottery has my car and 750k, the bank of Nigeria has 8 million of mine, and fed ex have a crate of my cash, I can’t understand why I’m driving an 18yr old car and not the latest Holland and Holland, lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts