RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Wanted to get some input on servicing this car.

With all my cars I either buy the maintenance package upfront (Audi, Maserati, Mercedes, etc.) or maintenance is included (BMW). As a result, I don't have much experience with paying for maintenance as I go. For my 2016 RR fullsize TD6, the dealer said it was cheaper to pay as you go vs. the package ($1250 for 2 years, $1800 for 3 is the package cost). He said you'll also only need two services, given its a 33 month lease. So I said OK and let it be.

I had my first service in September 2017 (12k miles, 1 year old) - cost me $1k. So far, so good. The car then started asking for service again at 16k in Feb 2018 (5 months after prior service) so I took it in again today. It's another $950. That's after a $200 discount because i complained that I am paying more for 2 services than the package would have cost for 3 services. Included within my $950 bill is $248 for a coolant flush which according to the RR maintenance book only needs to be done once every 10 years and I didn't ask for it to be done. And, $76 for windshield washer fluid!!

I wanted to get some thoughts on whether I am being taken for a ride or is this normal (the pricing, the seemingly unnecessary coolant flush, the service interval), etc.

PS: I am sure there will be someone who will question if I can afford to drive the car, if i am asking questions about service costs etc. The answer is yes, many times over. I am happy to pay $2k a service if that's the price/cost but getting taking advantage of for $10 would bug me.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Service intervals are supposed to be every 12 months or 16k miles. I am not sure if the diesel has an additional service? It might have been a service call just for the DEF fluid and the dealer decided to do a full service and charge you. That's the only thing I can think of.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,710 Posts
Although we have no clue where you are located, you have been taken in a big way. Why did you not pitch a fit about a coolant flush that was completely not need during your lease? The service department obviously did not reset your service indicator last September. Just because your service indicator goes off does not mean you take it in for another service. If the CEL is on and you have threats of reduced performance THEN you take it in. The dealership should have realized you came in at one year and this visit was nothing more than a false elapsed mileage alert. Completely uncalled for.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input guys. I’m based in NY/Long Island. Honestly, I didn’t piece all of it together until after I came home. I have sent them a note about the coolant already (that would have been easy to spot but I had my 3 young kids with me so I just paid and left). Based on input here, it seems the bigger issue is that I probably didn’t need the service at all (had they reset the indicator last Sep). I’ll take up the larger point with them tomorrow.

I’ll update here whatever I find out. I hate dealing with this crap - which is why I always buy the maint package and always lease cars. So I always have a car that works with minimal trips to the dealer or haggling with them.

Thx again for the help.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,710 Posts
best of luck with the service manager and/or franchise owner. Normally dealer complaints are petty little things. This was a text book, horse back, "stick em up" highway robbery. $76 for washer fluid that should have been gratis. A coolant service not needed for another 8 years... I bet you didn't even get flowers or drinks and dinner before they billed you. :oops:

·
Registered
154 Posts
This is why I do my own annual fluid & filter changes on my RR. And go to indies for brakes and tires. It’s super easy and I hate the anxiety about getting taken advantage of by the dealer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sent them an email this morning saying I want the whole cost refunded (except for whatever they want for DEF). The service adviser called me back and apologised for missing it (i.e., that service wasn’t required). He needs to check with his manager when he arrives later today on how to cure the issue and then will call me back. Will keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just heard from the service advisor. Very apologetic again and refunded the entire cost. Including refilling the DEF which I had offered to still pay for. Thanks for everyone’s input - helped clarify the issue for me and stiffened the spine a bit as well:) Kudos to the dealer for doing the right thing - not often one can say that.

·
Banned
107 Posts
That is a great outcome. This sort of response is what we'd all like ot feel we can count on, but rarely can. Excellent.

I found a local agent to me who did a full 4 year service for me, for less than half the stealer quoted. Using all LR parts, and actually replacing more items than the schedule recommends. Needless to say, whilst I own a LR vehicle, they will get my £.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
1,966 Posts
The dealers uses a checklist of things to do. It’s up to you to accept it. But reality wise, you just need the regular oil changes every 20,000 miles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts