RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow I going to pick up my new 79' Vette with a 350, auto trans, and 65,000 miles. It runs well and man the sound it makes is just scary, nothing like American V8. It has a cheap paint job so Im stripping it down of trim and sending it to get a professional repainted and replace the carpet, dash pad, and all the chrome trim. I plan on pressure washing under the car and repainting it. Replacing the supension with new srings, shocks, and bushings/mounts so it will track and ride like new. I am going to pull the motor and repaint it. Do a full tune up and fluid change. Fresh brake pads, turn the rotors. So my question is to you the fellow Corvette fan. What am I forgetting and what might else I should do. Any upgrades?

Thanks guys.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,758 Posts
The post stingray body is great and a butt load of fun... if you can get in a nd out of it. However, what is up with those "new" tail lights? Are you doing the whole MarkIII upgrade bit on a Chevy product? :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Theres no telling what the guy I bought it from was trying to do. I was going to trade those out. They painted the headlights that are stuck open. So not the sharpest tool in the shell.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
The Stingray era 350 is often times choked to death with emissions goodies. You might be surprised at how little that engine actually puts down at the wheels...sometimes as low as 175 hp. That being said...drop in 400+ hp engines can be had for $2500 and bolt right up. Should be fun...make sure to take lots of pics of the build up.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,758 Posts
kmagnuss said:
The Stingray era 350 is often times choked to death with emissions goodies. You might be surprised at how little that engine actually puts down at the wheels...sometimes as low as 175 hp. That being said...drop in 400+ hp engines can be had for $2500 and bolt right up. Should be fun...make sure to take lots of pics of the build up.
Heck at that age you most likely don't have to go through emissions. Pull the air pump and jump the timing and you'll easily gain 30 or 40 HP. Dump restricted air intake or even just turn the lid over on the cleaner and you'll gain a bit more. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im keeping it as original looking as I can, so I am willing to do sneeky . Yesterday it spent the day at the GM dealer getting a once over by the mechanic to see if I was missing anything I got it back today and started shopping. Ordered Vavoline Racing oil, diff fluid, ATF, and weather stripping. Bought her new filters, carb rebuild kit, everything for a tune-up, and valve cover gaskets. So all I have left is interior crap (not much, :dance: ), a little body/paint work, new supension, and then I am undercoating and repainting the motor. After this I will have a complete Vette. This thing is a ball to drive, its just not right how brutal it is. Handles really bad and brakes suck but burning rubber and slidding corners won't ever get old. :twisted: Im going to do the air pump bypass and I will try advancing the timing to squeeze a few extra ponies out.

Not the best car for moving cleaning stuff

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well today I started alittle on the Vette, I got quotes for the body work and a fresh paint job. Around $2500, so no high preformance supension anymore, just new shocks and bushings/mounts. :crybaby2: I did buy alittle eye candy today though. Chrome parts will add atleast another 50bhp. :D Got my JEGS order in and they made a mess of it. Sent me Ford ATF not GM ATF. But I will get that sorted. Friday Im power washing out from under the hood and car and then Im painting the motor and installing my eye candy and tune-up stuff.

Eye candy

All I need now is a K&N sticker and it will have at least 500bhp. :roll:

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sad day today. My chrome dress kit won't fit, the valve covers are too tall. All my dreams of being Bo Duke are in ruins. :cry: Well other than that almost all the parts for the interior and motor are in. So I will try to have it all finished in two weeks and ready for the painters. I have lots of pictures of the ordeal.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Watch the body. Because it is fiberglass (meaning that a minor accident totals the car), stress dimples are going to happen. Before you repaint the thing, I would suggest taking care of the major issues (if there are any). Also, if you are going to be modding this thing, you are going to have to reinforce the rear. This I had to do with my 1960 Corvette, and the same issues carry over to this one.

Also, check underneath the car. The body is fiberglass, but the chassis is steel. Which is known to have significant rust problems. I see you are in Florida, but if the car spent a lot of time at the beach, you may have issues.

Last, check the A-Arms. There could be shims on the arms, either a ton on one side, none on the other, or a few on one side and a ton on the other. Considering the condition of the car currently, I'd check it out.

Doctor Leo said:
Theres no telling what the guy I bought it from was trying to do. I was going to trade those out. They painted the headlights that are stuck open. So not the sharpest tool in the shell.
And it's "not the sharpest tool in the shed"

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,758 Posts
I'm glad to see you found a replacement for the chrome air scoop. That is truely great news! Is that the Tribune model or the special edition Times? :think:

BTW, the shop did a great job with the new rage "matte" finish paint. :lol:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That thing is so bad. I mean holly ****, how can you screw up a icon that bad, well a few MKIII converted P38 owners probbly can shed alittle light on this. :think:

My Vette is off to the body shop for a respray, I hope I have it done by springbreak when the ricers roll into town, Im going to butcher them on the airfield. :twisted: My business partner is prepping a C4 for the killing grounds that week as well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts