RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had this issue? The bolts that hold the sway bar are corroded and will not come off. They have been heated, oiled, lubed, everything. I have had 2 places tell me my only option is to remove the engine or drop the subframe. Engine removal is not an option as I am not dumping 4k for a $200 job. Dropping the subframe is a risk since there are is no promise it will allow the bolts to be removed. Anyone come up with a way to fix this? I know LR has a corrosion warranty but not sure if that applies to this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
There are 3 bolts that hold the front sway bar bushing brackets to the subframe. The middle one seems the most prone to seizing. The middle bolts on both left and right brackets broke off on my 2010 when I went to replace the sway bar bushings. I was able to drill them out, chase the threads with a tap and install new bolts. Depends how many of yours are seized I suppose. Should be possible to drill out the middle and forward bolts fairly easily if they break. The rear bolt doesn't protrude through the bottom of the subframe so it would have to be drilled from above (hence dropping the subframe at least partially) or you'd have to create an access hole from the bottom side of the subframe to drill the bolt out.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
231 Posts
Also for the two bolts that stick out the bottom cut a deep notch in them so you can apply an impact wrench (flat chisel turning clockwise) to the underside of them to free them up. The hardest bolt however, is that back one (the one that doesn't protrude) , and if those other bolts are rusted up, chances are this back bolt is too. Whatever you do, don't mar this bolt head up - use a six point 15mm on it, not a twelve, you will need every bit it of this bolt head to free it up (it's really recessed in the bracket) regardless if need to drop the sub-frame a tad or not. Good luck, sometimes the easiest job can become a nightmare.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I called a couple places and used this info to ask if they could do it. Going Monday. I unfortunately do not have the tools or space to attempt this myself so crossing my fingers these guys can get it done!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So of the 6 bolts, the 2 furthest bolts toward the rear (1 on each side) are not turning and seem to be locked in that huge spacer that holds those long bolts. Dealer wants $1200 to do a $300 job lol. Unfortunately, none of the Indie shops want to mess with it because they aren't sure they can still those back 2 bolts. My particular model does not have a subframe so that is not an option. My car sounds like it is bouncing on rubber lol. Seriously debating dumping this thing just cuz I am tired of dealing with the dealer.....

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
4,459 Posts
Ask a welder to come over and pay for his time to cut the bolts at the LR shop which is doing the work. That might be a cheaper solution...then thread the new bolts in and you're good to go!

·
Registered
27 Posts
That's a good thought...have any shops took a stab at it yet? I feel like lots of times they say, "ehhh, I don't think we can get it" but once the trucks in the air, they can usually figure something out. Don't give up!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welder idea is good too. I'll look into that as well. Yeah I have had 2 shops put it up on the rack in addition to dealership. Both of them tried and were worried it would break and not be able to get the bolts out. Of the 6 bolts, 4 are really easily accessible and if they break are easy to tap out. It's the 2 rear bolts that are longer and pass thru a spacer that they think are corroded inside the spacer. They both said if the bolt breaks they are worried they can't finish getting it out because of where the bolt is located in regards to the engine. Because my model has no subframe they can't drop it for easier access. Dealer looked at it, quoted me 6.5 hours labor, and said no problem lol. I might just bite the bullet and pay the dealer since once they take it, they gotta fix it. I just am being stubborn and don't want to pay 6.5 hours for a 3 hour job.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts