RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to put my oil pan back on and I have a cork gasket that came with the gasket set I ordered, but I also have some Permatex "Right Stuff" gasket maker as well as orange RTV gasket maker. I've heard some people bash cork gaskets but I can't remember the details. Anybody have experience or preference of which way to go?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I applied some high-tack gasket sealer and put it on. The setting on my torque wrench must be off because it smashed the gasket out the sides before I realized what was going on. So, Look like i'll be using the Permatex!

·
Administrator
27,794 Posts
Dead on correct. Most folks goop up the item they are installing and bolt it in place. All that does is push the sealant out the sides and pretty much guarantees leaks. Give your bead of RTV a chance to develop a skin and firm up. Alternatively you can start your bolts a few threads letting your RTV make contact with it's mating surface but let let it sit 15 minutes then properly torque the bolts.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
222 Posts
You can also stick the gasket to the sump and use a film of Hylomar on the engine face when offering it up.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
You can also stick the gasket to the sump and use a film of Hylomar on the engine face when offering it up.
the op suggested he ruined the cork gasket thus trying to save it with sealant is pointless, he is better off disacrding the cork and using silicone. due to it's chemical compound Hylomar not ideal to be used by it self, unlike silicone.
one is sealant the other gasket maker.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I used the Permatex "Right Stuff" gasket maker. It sets up much faster than the typical RTV so I fitted it immediately to the block. This time I just finger tightened the bolts in the correct sequence, then after 20 mins I went back with a regular wrench and just snugged them up till I felt resistance. My torque wrench let me down the first time, so I just went by feel and I think I got a good result.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
222 Posts
the op suggested he ruined the cork gasket thus trying to save it with sealant is pointless, he is better off disacrding the cork and using silicone. due to it's chemical compound Hylomar not ideal to be used by it self, unlike silicone.
one is sealant the other gasket maker.
Apologies, I meant stick as in Bostick/Genkem contact stick, not a gasket maker type stick.
My error in explaining poorly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts