Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've now had significant - and I mean SIGNIFICANT - driving experience with these tires in snow on my '12 RRS and while I can't say they're as good as my Blizzaks I can say they're quite capable. Given this is a high mileage tread compound its not going to have the sticky soft capability of the Bridgestones but i decided to give them a try because I hate the way the Blizzaks drive on dry pavement. I was thinking if the Zeons werent great in snow I'd be trading some downside for upside on dry pavement and off road. As it turns out though we've had a great deal of snow here this winter - as has most of the country - but since the tire has been more than adequate in deep snow, packed snow and ice - including several mountain pass blizzards - I'm gonna call this a good decision.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
376 Posts
I agree. While we didn't get a foot of snow here in VA, only 4 inches from where I am, my Zeon's were great.

·
Premium Member
1,663 Posts
I'm going against the grain here, but IME, they are marginal, at best, in ideal snow conditions and horrible in most (snow) conditions.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
I've said this before, but I like repeating myself, and I've also never had Zeons on any of my rigs 8). I have owned a few other well respected A/T tire brands and had white knuckled winter driving experiences with them. A/T tires are better than all seasons and maybe Zeons are better than most A/T's, but I'm certainly not going back to A/T's as a dedicated snow tire.

I think what you are seeing here is the RRS is very capable vehicle when conditions get slippery and that masks some tire deficiencies. Put some A/T's on a Wrangler or FJ in the snow, both of which are a bit more honest with their feedback, and you will notice the shortcomings more.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've said this before, but I like repeating myself, and I've also never had Zeons on any of my rigs 8). I have owned a few other well respected A/T tire brands and had white knuckled winter driving experiences with them. A/T tires are better than all seasons and maybe Zeons are better than most A/T's, but I'm certainly not going back to A/T's as a dedicated snow tire.

I think what you are seeing here is the RRS is very capable vehicle when conditions get slippery and that masks some tire deficiencies. Put some A/T's on a Wrangler or FJ in the snow, both of which are a bit more honest with their feedback, and you will notice the shortcomings more.

You could be right. But, I had Blizzaks on my RRS last season - and I'm driving the same roads in the same kind of conditions - so I think my seat of the pants impression is pretty credible. That said, I know the Zeons wont be as good as the Blizzak in snow - but my point was that I'm not giving up much in the snow against the Blizzaks, I'm better off on dry pavement than the Blizzaks and at least even with the Contis, and a lot better served off-road than both - and I don't have to swap tires.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts