RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished changing out the hoses on the Borrego at 110k miles. I am pretty sure they were the originals
as they were pretty knackered, and the heater hoses had pin holed.
As I was removing the set of 3 hoses with the Tee fitting installed, said Tee absolutely disintegrated in my hand. It came out in "Three Easy Pieces" ! I have been intending doing this job for a couple of weeks but 3- 800mile trips from Socal to Norcal got in the way. (I had the new hoses with me, just in case ...)
It was a real shock to find that the cooling system was being held together with the mostly powdered remains of the junction tee :shock: Plastic degrades with heat!
Belts and hoses are definitely wear items, so if you have not done yours, it would be a good idea to have a look!
While you are at it, grease the U joints!:thumb:

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
On earlier rigs that T was a bonded three branch hose. I am not sure when it was changed over to a T fitting but I detest the retro to the plastic T for GEMS on replacements. A copper plumbing T fitting is cheap, easy to find at most hardware stores. The you don;t have to worry about it.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The copper tee is a great idea!, looked like a nominal 1 in (25mm) tee would fit nicely. Of course, you will not have a proper spigoted end to hold the hose on, but should still work. The kit I used was from AB and encouragingly, all the parts were LR genuine, or Bearmach......EXCEPT the piece with the tee......This was Chinese! Had I known, beforehand, I would have returned it! As I had no choice but to use it due to the disintegration, I have, but am not happy! I will be mentioning this to AB.......UK or German Thermoplastic parts....Ok.....Chinese TP parts? Why chance it? Save a couple of bucks and toast your engine??

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh YEA!! Now that would make me a happy camper.
I had thought about barbed tees, but had neglected to look at PEX fittings......
I am going to order one and swap out the doubtful plastic bit!
Thanks!

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
i would be leary of that. It's max rating is only 200f. That is giving pretty much no wiggle room or safety zone when pushing a Rover V8. Remember that our gauges are stupid and far from accurate. They are so heavily buffered you could be over 200 before the gauge jumps from normal to overheat.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Note that's pressure and temp rating, 200F, 200 psi. After that. you start de-rating the pressure by a factor. It's probably down to 100 psi at 400F. Just like you would de-rate a copper tee.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks TH, I had noted the rating, however being wrought DR Brass, even thin wall as it is, I was not too worried. If the engineers think that Thermoplastic is OK then I am VERY ok with DR Brass. I have used similar on big marine engines with no issues. For the price, I will order one and give it a good look. Shoot! Your copper tee is only rated at 20psi at 200Deg C.........working pressure

Edit: Just noted that I need to buy 5 at a time.....Shoots!
Will look for a dealer.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I don't know if it's the same in the US, but I would be able to get that fitting in plastic, brass, steel or stainless at my local hydraulic suppliers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts