Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished changing out the hoses on the Borrego at 110k miles. I am pretty sure they were the originals
as they were pretty knackered, and the heater hoses had pin holed.
As I was removing the set of 3 hoses with the Tee fitting installed, said Tee absolutely disintegrated in my hand. It came out in "Three Easy Pieces" ! I have been intending doing this job for a couple of weeks but 3- 800mile trips from Socal to Norcal got in the way. (I had the new hoses with me, just in case ...)
It was a real shock to find that the cooling system was being held together with the mostly powdered remains of the junction tee :shock: Plastic degrades with heat!
Belts and hoses are definitely wear items, so if you have not done yours, it would be a good idea to have a look!
While you are at it, grease the U joints!:thumb:

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
On earlier rigs that T was a bonded three branch hose. I am not sure when it was changed over to a T fitting but I detest the retro to the plastic T for GEMS on replacements. A copper plumbing T fitting is cheap, easy to find at most hardware stores. The you don;t have to worry about it.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The copper tee is a great idea!, looked like a nominal 1 in (25mm) tee would fit nicely. Of course, you will not have a proper spigoted end to hold the hose on, but should still work. The kit I used was from AB and encouragingly, all the parts were LR genuine, or Bearmach......EXCEPT the piece with the tee......This was Chinese! Had I known, beforehand, I would have returned it! As I had no choice but to use it due to the disintegration, I have, but am not happy! I will be mentioning this to AB.......UK or German Thermoplastic parts....Ok.....Chinese TP parts? Why chance it? Save a couple of bucks and toast your engine??

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh YEA!! Now that would make me a happy camper.
I had thought about barbed tees, but had neglected to look at PEX fittings......
I am going to order one and swap out the doubtful plastic bit!
Thanks!

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
i would be leary of that. It's max rating is only 200f. That is giving pretty much no wiggle room or safety zone when pushing a Rover V8. Remember that our gauges are stupid and far from accurate. They are so heavily buffered you could be over 200 before the gauge jumps from normal to overheat.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Note that's pressure and temp rating, 200F, 200 psi. After that. you start de-rating the pressure by a factor. It's probably down to 100 psi at 400F. Just like you would de-rate a copper tee.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks TH, I had noted the rating, however being wrought DR Brass, even thin wall as it is, I was not too worried. If the engineers think that Thermoplastic is OK then I am VERY ok with DR Brass. I have used similar on big marine engines with no issues. For the price, I will order one and give it a good look. Shoot! Your copper tee is only rated at 20psi at 200Deg C.........working pressure

Edit: Just noted that I need to buy 5 at a time.....Shoots!
Will look for a dealer.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I don't know if it's the same in the US, but I would be able to get that fitting in plastic, brass, steel or stainless at my local hydraulic suppliers.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had one of those bonded t piece hoses seperate inside and intermittently cause me all sorts of pain

·
Registered
450 Posts
Which piece are we talking about? The white bulby thing near the bottom of the radiator LHS?

·
Registered
79 Posts
No words I write on this thread can truly convey my anger and frustration with the use of plastics (no matter how technically advanced) in the engine bay of cars.
to give a brief list of potential disasters I have personally encountered include:
# P38 radiator inlet pipe cracking, possibly discovered within minutes of a catastrophic over heating event.
# Mitsubishi Magna radiator, similar.
# Jaguar XK8 coolant header tank, small hidden crack again leading to coolant loss and almost disastrous engine failure.
# JaguarXK8 plastic cam chain tensioner cracking and approaching failure that would have led to engine destruction.

In fact, looking at the above list, unexpected and unnecessary failed plastic components have caused me more grief in nearly destroying engines than hundreds and hundreds of thousands of km of normal wear and tear.
Don't get me wrong, I understand that materials evolve and plastics offer great advantages to manufacture but there is no excuse for not specifying a design which at least equals if not exceeds the metal part it replaces.
A rather whimsical common bumper sticker on older cars is ‘CLASSIC NOT PLASTIC’, in the case of engine components I think the statement rather relevant. My obscure 65 Humber Imperial has never experienced similar failures (or almost any for that matter) and my old Land Rovers, in constant gruelling use on the farm are the same.
regards all
al

1 - 12 of 12 Posts