RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover P38A
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I have a 2003 RR HSE 4.4 M62 with 118,XXX miles. I just changed the water pump, thermostat, and all coolant hoses located in the front of the engine three weeks ago.

NOW...just yesterday 6/24/2015 on my way back from DTLA the check coolant notification popped up. I babied it home (20 miles) from DTLA, got out the truck and I could hear a loud hissing sound as if pressure was being released from the rear of the engine bay, I inspected all front hoses and water pump/thermostat area. No leaks.

I then took off the engine cover, PVC heater blanket. I saw splatter of coolant and felt around and yep, it was coolant. Coolant was now dripping on the ground (dripping from the rear area of the engine bay). I haven't taken apart the area to inspect (at work) further. I am hoping you all can chime in with your experience and I hope it is a moderate fix.

Being the leak coming from the rear of the engine bay I hope all I need to replace is the Rear Water Manifold to Heater Return Hose: http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/JHC000081

Yes...No?

Any info would help so I know what to inspect and troubleshoot so I don't go on a wild goose chase trying to fix the leak. Thanks.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,945 Posts
well sure you should have replaced the short hose as part of the water pump swap ,
that said if your intake valley pan is older than 8 years it may be leaking and thus its time to swap it out

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
The rear accumulator is on the back of the engine too, I would have replaced the gaskets on that during the water pump job as well... the radiators also seem to be made of tin foil, but if that were leaking I presume it would have been easier to see in the front, but if it is, make sure you get the Behr one not the LR one... fraction of the price and the only difference is a sticker with the LR logo.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
^^^^Oh yeah i forgot about the water manifold gaskets on the rear of the cylinder heads

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover P38A
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
***Update***

I dodged a huge bullet...it was the rear water manifold to heater hose return. A big ole nasty tear. Thanks for the replies. While I am back there, the PVC valve and hoses are getting replaced too.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
look at the Valley pan seal its under the intake manifold,
look along the base of the intake with flashlight,
if you see white crusty materials then the valley seal is leaking

1 - 6 of 6 Posts