RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks. Picked up a jag equipped 06 HSE rover from a very shady seller but the price was good enough that a used motor still would bring it to the bottom of the KBB scale, and the history check/NCIB checked out. In any case, the car drove just fine for 150 miles or so. 40 minutes straight driving in 80F weather AC on, idling, etc... no smoke and oil/coolant looked good. Checked all the fluids in the AM, and then after a day of putting around town I drove home (about 70 miles that day total), and about 2 miles away from my house the low coolant message appears, I could smell coolant. Temp was solid right down the middle. I get home while watching the gauge like a hawk just a couple minutes later and there's a big cloud of steam. Pop the hood and I can hear it and see a big mess under the hood. Coolant had sprayed all over the fan and the front/top of the engine. I can hear the water pump making noise towards the last hundred yards (bearing noise) and I shut it down, I'm assuming that's when it stopped getting coolant circulating. I fill the expansion tank with water (no steam came out of the expansion tank) and let it sit overnight. The radiator hoses were soft and clearly empty of coolant when I shut it off. In the AM they are now half filled it seems, which I assume it is from the water being sucked in from the expansion tank. I fired it up to move it a few yards, and the water pump was silent again.

So this is where I get a bit confused. I'm a former mechanic and everything seems to point to a stuck t-stat, but I've never worked on rovers and wanted to see if anyone had similar issues. The really odd part is that the gauge never went hot. It works, it starts off cold and goes to the middle, but during this steam session it never went over half. Normally when all the coolant boils away I see the temp go down to nothing as it isn't submerged anymore, or go to the red side if the steam is enough for it to work. Anyone have a similar issue? My fear would be a cracked block or head gaskets, but this should then be a constant overheating and a bubbling expansion tank. Neither of which has happened.

thanks!

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
How about real location guy... northeast means nothing.... northeast what?

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,166 Posts
Head gaskets almost never smell like antifreeze, they almost always leak into the cylinders and show up as white exhaust smoke when they are really bad. Sounds like you have a hose leak somewhere on the top front of the engine. There are a ton of little hoses and connectors just in front of the intake manifold that get really soft right next to the hose clamps and eventually split.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK folks, update time.

Towed it to the shop, reputable one where I know the people so there's 100% no hogwash. Initial issue turned out to be a ruptured hose. So all the coolant bled out and it steamed but not badly enough to move the temp gauge. Replaced hose, drove it a week with no issues (about 200 miles) then on a cold morning about 5 miles in it started creeping past the middle and half way to red. Pulled over and popped the hood, reservoir is full but just barely warm. Upper coolant hose soft. Let it cool and fired up again, made it a 1/2 mile to pull off in a safer place and back to half way to red. Soft upper coolant hose again and steaming back by the engine slightly. Towed back to the shop. No exhaust gasses in coolant so head gasket is unlikely. Most likely thermostat as there was no coolant circulation. Changed t-stat, back on the road.

Go about 500 miles, including a 200 mile round trip drive. At the end of the 200 miles I stop and get coffee, get back in, and a half mile later the gauge again is half way to red. Stop and pop the hood, some coolant spilling around the coolant reservoir, but its hot. Let it sit 2-3 minutes and fire it up and its back to normal. Now I'm a bit stumped. Drive it another couple of hundred miles and change the reservoir cap just in case.

That was 2500 miles ago. Since then it has been running like a champ, including several 4+ hour round trips, until--yesterday. Start cold, go about 12 miles and stop. Get back in the car a minute later, start driving. 3 miles later coolant temp back to half way to red. No heat. I was not in a safe place to pull over and kept driving, temp almost got to red but then started coming back down, still in the red. FYI it was 12F outside, so there is tons of passive cooling from the fan blowing and ice cold air. I'm able to limp it home about 7 miles where the temp only went close to red up a hill briefly and no heat the whole time. Pull in and pop the hood, same as a couple months ago, coolant reservoir barely warm, upper hose soft. Some spilled coolant hissing from around the engine. Let it cool and suck the coolant down from the full reservoir, next morning the reservoir is empty. Fill it back up and go through two cold - full hot - cold cycles. It won't overheat in 10 degree weather just idling, but you can tell there is no heat and no coolant circulation forward of the t-stat as the hoses are soft there.

What gives? Possibly another bad t-stat this soon after? Water pump was near new per my mechanic and I believe there's a service record for it a couple years back and around 10k back. It never got terribly hot so I don't think there's any damage, but I'm ready to torch this thing with two tows now and yet another overheat.

Is there anything Land Rover special here that could be the cause aside from a defective t-stat and maybe now the water pump? Is it possible that whatever that electronic t-stat bypass for the heater core is at fault? Definitely no coolant leaks, 100% tight when it doesn't overheat.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5 Posts
I am having this exact same problem. The common thing I noticed is both times it happened I was going uphill. The first time I noticed too late and coolant was spilling out and tons of steam...somehow effected the alternator and wouldn't start. I got a new radiator and alternate and all new hoses with no problems for 100 miles. Then I went up another steep hill, with tons of stop signs. Once at the top coolant was leaving everywhere and super steamed up. This most recent time it wasn't as bad and the car cooled off.

Fault code is saying P1170 but I don't think the problem is related. Any luck on figuring this out?

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
JS what year is your truck

·
Registered
346 Posts
I don't have this model, but I would check that you do not have air in the coolant system. It is possible this is the cause.

·
Registered
2011 Range Rover Supercharged
143 Posts
Regardless of year, the OP symptoms sound an awful lot like air in the system. I would double check that the system is bled properly. Sometimes elevating the front end of the vehicle during bleeding can ensure the bleed screw is the highest point in the system to ensure all the air can work it's way up and out.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
need more info to guide to where possible leaks are.

Come on people put your info into your signature line.
just about everyone thats looking for answers has to be asked

1 - 9 of 9 Posts