RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I own a 2008 Range Rover HSE with the 4.4 Jag engine and 130k on it. Recently I decided to replace the radiator because it had a very small leak since I got it 2 years ago. While I was in there I changed the belts and then put it all back together. My troubles started when I attempted to bleed the system per the RAVE instructions. It just wouldn't burp and I couldn't get heat. The temp gauge would stay right in the middle and it never overheated. My thought was that it was air in the system. So tonight I used a vacuum filler and still no heat. The water pump was replaced at 100k but I am unsure if the thermostat was replaced. During the vacuum process I did notice that it was not holding pressure when the shop air was taken off. Also the system doesn't seem to be circulating well either. The bleeder screw on the hose above the throttle body doesn't show much flow. Does anyone have any suggestions? My fear is a head gasket but I can't imagine why it would have gone all the sudden? Could the thermostat be at fault?

Thank you all.

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
you have two bleed valves. you need to remove the engine cover and there will be an inline bleed valve rather front and off center to the right you need to let the engine idle open that valve and leave it open until a steady stream comes out then close it. They like to break so be careful. Then you move to the bleed valve on the tank. Be happy you don't have the S/C, that brings in whole additional layer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you have two bleed valves. you need to remove the engine cover and there will be an inline bleed valve rather front and off center to the right you need to let the engine idle open that valve and leave it open until a steady stream comes out then close it. They like to break so be careful. Then you move to the bleed valve on the tank. Be happy you don't have the S/C, that brings in whole additional layer.
Thanks for the reply! I have the engine cover off. Are you referring to the hose that goes over/behind the throttle body? It has a bleeder valve on it. I have let it run with that open but it starts to steam and coolant bubbles through it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All is well again! Thank you for your input RRToadHall. The Snap-On Radkit says don't over tighten the connection with the expansion tank so I made it snug. Well, it needed to be tight and that is why the system was not holding vacuum. After snugging it up nice and tight it held, and sucked all those stubborn air pockets out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts