RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a quick recap, my p38 had boiled and blown the HG's, I stripped it down and replaced them - rebuilt and it fired straight up.

I've done various other jobs such as redone the brake lines and replaced the radiator getting it ready for it's MOT, whilst running the p38 it didn't seem to be using much coolant but there was a very slight drip from the T peice to the LPG system.

I've then left it for 3 weeks whilst going away for easter and waiting for a replacement transmission cooler, I'm nearly ready to run it again now and should be taking it for it's MOT in the week so I checked the coolant level and the header tank was empty, I filled it up with 2 litres of water, but now I'm worried about where the water has gone!

Would it all have dripped out and evapourated over three weeks? There was no wet patch in the garage. The T peice felt slightly wet, but there wasn't a wet patch on the rocker cover which is directly under it.

Just worried incase it's filled the bores or something then when I turn the key I could cause some damage?

After the rebuild it seemed to give a lot of steam out of the exhaust but a quick blast round the block would clear the steam

I have now replaced the streatched jubilee clip (rubbish cheapy thing) with a proper one which seems to have stopped the drip

Any thoughts - I was just surprised at the amount of water loss

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hummm,

Just went out to it a day later and the coolant is still at the same level, went to start it and it fired straight up perfectly.

The level started to drop and it was squirting in to the top from the little pipe that exits the top of the rad - is that normal I can't remember it doing that before. I was also getting some bubbles coming up in the header tank. Fairly big ones.

When I turned the engine off after a while the level increased and over flowed - again is that normal.

I'm hoping I've just got a bit of an air lock due to the leak?

It seemed easier to bleed last time when the fan wasn't on, I'm a bit cautious whilst squeezing the top hose now!

I'm sure the LPG system doesn't help either as the pipes go quite high

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
86 Posts
i hope you find the answer cause im having the same issues!

When you blew your gasket did you have coolant in the oil?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seems to have sorted itself, I think it was just an airlock - it's more difficult/dangerous to bleed with the fan on, I think/hope I'm just worrying too much because I know it had problems with the cooling system!

I'm not 100% sure but I think it was just combustion to water jacket due to blown head gasket, top hose had split but not sure if that was the cause of the overheat or if the combustion gases in the coolant caused the pipe to blow.

Had it running up to temp and all has settled - still can't fully seal the T peice, I reckon if I tighten the jubilee clip any more that something will break. So I need to try and find a brass replacement T and fit that.

All good fun - about ready to have a shot at the MOT now

·
Registered
453 Posts
Sotal,

I had plastic t-pieces with my origianal LPG kit. I was forever tightening them to try to stop a drip.

In the end i found some aluminium t-pieces on ebay. Swapped over, replaced the hoses (t-piece to bulkhead) and drip cured.
When replacing them be careful not to move the bulkhead pipes too much as you'll cause a leaky o-ring above the driver's feet- Very common cause of coolent loss- Easy fix, PITA to do.

I found out that the plastic t-pieces did not match with the coolent hose size correctly. (I guess they are generic for all cars) which caused the constant leak.

Find out the inside diameter of each hose your wanting to join and get a brass / aluminium t-piece to match.
You'll probably have an equal t-piece (All sides the same size) and 2 differing hose sizes.
(as mentioned i opted for aluminium as it was the same material as the block, cannot go wrong with that)

With LPG i find to bleed the system requires time as the LPG coolent hoses do tend to hold air.
I usually blow the radiator to header hose with compressor, disconnect engine to top radiator hose, fill header and the disconnected hose with coolent. Reconnect as soon as the hose looks to be full. Fire engine up and burp as normal and leave to settle, top up, burp and leave to settle. Following morning top up and your off.
(Check it for a couple of days)

Hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts