RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

I installed a new timing cover / oil pump and water pump on my Rangie (4.6 HSEGems)

All looks ok, temp gauge stays in the middle like before, she climbs up at the same point as always, the coolant level stays a bit higher though, heater works... But, after driving 45kms on the highway, I can take the cap of the expansian tank, and the coolant doesn't blow out, or over flows, just a little hiss, coolant hoses are all hot.

All seems to be ok, but for some reason I think something is wrong, coolant expensian tank should overflow as soon as you take the cap off on operating temperature, shouldn't it? It's summer here..

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,311 Posts
I can take the cap of the expansian tank, and the coolant doesn't blow out, or over flows, just a little hiss, coolant hoses are all hot.

All seems to be ok, but for some reason I think something is wrong, coolant expensian tank should overflow as soon as you take the cap off on operating temperature, shouldn't it?
No it shouldn't, only if it is overheating or pressurising. A bit of pressure from thermal expansion making the hoses firm and giving a hiss when you take the cap off is how it should be. If it starts spitting coolant out, you have a problem.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, ok... All is ok then.
With all the cars I've own would spit the coolant out when you take the cap of when hot..

Thanks!

·
Registered
496 Posts
if you can remove your cap strait away after stopping and no flash off into steam you have a problem ! next time try to squeeze the radiator hose it should be firm with resistance , check the orings on the cap as well as the cap itself may be the problem or a cracked in the plastic tank, if its not leaking coolant the hole is above the water line
ps running pressure should be around 10psi , it may not blow out like a water fountain but it should at least get your attention ? operating temp off around 85 90 deg at 10 psi will give you some reaction?

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
455 Posts
Grrr. I know I shouldn't reply because you don't like ladies.

but still.

Don't trust the instrument. it is in the middle between 70ºC and 102ª
so it is totally deceiving. Connect it to diagnostics or use a nice tempreaturepistol to know your real temperature. My 4.0 has a tiny head gasket leak and will his a bit and always looses some water, but it does not overheat. I do check it with a Hawkeye though.

So, as long as you are not loosing coolant or water, don't worry.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did a 4wd trip today, 20km on the beach, hooked the Nanocom on, the temperature was 90 degrees C, so that should be ok, and the reason why the coolant doesn't spit out...

I always thought that most engines are just over 100 dgrees when on operating temperature..

I'm not worried anymore.

Thanks guys, and Annette. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts