RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to replace my coolant temperature sensor but I cannot find it. My Manual does not show where it is located or how to replace..........I have looked all over the front of the engine and all over the hoses but cannot see it. There is something tucked in near the throttle body but not sure if its the sensor.

Can anyone give me the heads up please and any replacement info would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Its in the back of the little manifold that the thermostat is in just to the right of the engine centerline (as you look at it from the front bumper) right where the head meets the intake manifold. The electrical connector is on the back of the manifold and sticks out towards the engine block.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mark is it hard to get at to replace....do I have to take much out to access and do you know if there are any diagrams.
Regards Bruce

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I have a picture of it. The picture is taken upside down (the tube in the middle will point down installed) , so the sensor is actually on the passenger side of the engine (on a NA Vehicle) facing the front face of the head. The workshop manual is not real specific, the only place it is mentioned is in the part for the coolant manifold removal. So they take the manifold off (and the fan and some support brackets, and the hoses) and then replace the sensor. Don't know if there is enough room to just disconnect it and pull it out. I've got a 4.4L engine so my setup is a little different.

lr007603_6.jpg

Mine looks like the attached image below.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks heaps Mike mine is also a 4.4ltr AJV8
So LR have not thought this one out very well it looks like (according to the manual) you have discharge the AC air and remove AC lines above the viscous fan to allow you to remove the fan and shroud to get access to the coolant manifold just to change the Coolant Temp sensor. I had suspected this may be the case. The AJV8 does not allow you to remove the fan and shroud without disconnecting the AC lines above the fan housing - bit of a silly design I wonder has anyone been able to remove fan housing without disconnecting the AC lines and without wrecking the lines or the fan housing?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
You can remove the clips that hold the A/C line onto the shroud and kind of pull them out of the way. You can sometimes wiggle the wrenches down into the space and loosen the coupling. Most of that coolant manifold is above the fan so I don't even know why they tell you to do that you should be able to get the manifold off without pulling all that stuff, and you may be able to just reach your hands in behind it once the air tubes are pulled off.

4.4l coolant manifold.jpg
Like I said I couldn't find specific instructions for pulling the sensor, the only place it was mentioned was in the cooling manifold removal and installation section so I'm still not sure if its required just to replace the sensor. on the 4.4L it doesn't screw into the manifold it has one of those giant paper clip like retainers that you pull straight up on and then it just slides right out towards the back of the engine.

4.4l ECT sensor.jpg

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Mark I did the air filter today and had a look at the ECT I can take out the throttle body no problem (only 4 bolts and 1 gasket done that before) and I think I will get access to the ECT if need be I can remove one heater hose off the coolant manifold. What do think my chances are to take out the ECT and plug the hole while installing to avoid dumping all the coolant

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Your at the high point of the engine, so I doubt you would loose much more than a pint of fluid, just leave the expansion tank cap on and plug any hose you disconnect and most of the coolant will stay inplace. Or drain down a quart or so from the radiator into a container to lower the water level, close the system back up and then take the hoses off, probably won't loose any and you'll have a quart or so to dump back in when your done.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All good thanks again Mark
I will do the replacement in the new year and hopefully post pics for the next RR warrior looking to do a replacement.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts